Robin Cook's "The Year of the Intern"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written back in 1973, Robin Cook said this book was a good example of what the typical intern went through after graduating from medical school. I was just wondering if this book still holds true pretty much with today's practices and what current interns go through.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it really? I almost got it the other day- but then I thought - well, that was 20 years ago!!! but maybe I'll reconsider. ;)
When you read it, did you often/ever think : oh, THAT would be different today? Just wondering.

While those other books may be good, The House of God by Sam Shem is usually cited as the "classic" book about internship. While it was written in the early 1970's, the lessons and message of the book remains true. Gotta love the Fatman and the Rules of the House.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good list. I really liked When the Air Hits Your Brain--made me almost want to pursue Neurosurg... almost :D ! Didn't know Dr. Vertosick had another book... I'll have to check that out.

I'd like to add a couple books:
1) Kill As Few Patients As Possible by Oscar London M.D.
2) Health Against Wealth by George Anders
3) My Own Country by Abraham Verghese M.D.

And remember, Reading Is Fundamental!

:cool:

A recent favorite book of mine is Atul Gawande's "Complications." It's a new book and discusses some great topics. While geared primarily towards surgery, many of it's chapters can apply to other specialties as well. It's a very well written, thought -provoking book.

Stephen Hoffman's "Under the Ether Dome" about his internship at MGH. Great read! Much better than "House of God".:clap:

SCUTKING, I AGREE, GREAT BOOK! THE TRACHE IN THE ER WAS TOO MUCH!

I also liked "Complications". Another book by another New Yorker contributor is "Second Opinions" by Jerome Groopman. A chapter of his and Gawande's books appeared, prior to the book's launch, in the New Yorker's Annals of Medicine, which are usually very interesting. Both are excellent writers. Groopman's most recent New Yorker article, about palliative care, was also very good, and I think Cuts posted it somewhere on SDN at one point.

Second Opinions consists of eight cases, which is great because one case ~ 1 subway ride, and the paperback is easy to stash. Groopman also wrote Measure of our Days, but I haven't read it yet, although I now plan to.

a killer book..."the dressing station" by jonathan kaplan. a south african surgeon, and his experiences all over the world, mainly in war zones.

Another very good medical book is "The Lost Art of Healing" by Dr. Bernard Lown.

He's a cardiologist and professor from Harvard detailing his thoughts and lessons he's learned from his patients after all of his years of practice.