Road to MSW: low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl9007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, like many other undergraduate students, started off premed. After 2 1/2 years as a biology major I am sitting with a 2.56. I am about to begin my fourth year and switched to psychology just last semester. I still have a year and a half.

I am extremely passionate about psychology and providing therapy/helping others. It took half of my college career to realize this is what I truly want to do. I made a mistake majoring in a technical field. I am not very technical and truly love psychology. I have had enough exposure to know this is what I want to do. Just last semester I took two psychology courses and received an AB in a breadth course and a BC in my Research Methods which is known to be a very difficult class in my university.

If I get up to a 2.6-2.7 my final year (projected A's, AB's, and B's if I am doing the calculation correctly?), is it a good idea to apply to MSW programs then? I hope to get some volunteer experience in the meantime. Or would it be ideal to take a couple years off and gain some experience then?

My dream is to be a clinical psychologist, but feel like the MSW is the right path for me as it will get me started in a career I love.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How can you be passionate about providing therapy if you haven't...provided therapy? Anyways, I think if you get a solid LOR, you should be alright. Which uni's are you looking into?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if you have experience you'll get in, my friend got in with a similar GPA to USC

I, like many other undergraduate students, started off premed. After 2 1/2 years as a biology major I am sitting with a 2.56. I am about to begin my fourth year and switched to psychology just last semester. I still have a year and a half.

I am extremely passionate about psychology and providing therapy/helping others. It took half of my college career to realize this is what I truly want to do. I made a mistake majoring in a technical field. I am not very technical and truly love psychology. I have had enough exposure to know this is what I want to do. Just last semester I took two psychology courses and received an AB in a breadth course and a BC in my Research Methods which is known to be a very difficult class in my university.

If I get up to a 2.6-2.7 my final year (projected A's, AB's, and B's if I am doing the calculation correctly?), is it a good idea to apply to MSW programs then? I hope to get some volunteer experience in the meantime. Or would it be ideal to take a couple years off and gain some experience then?

My dream is to be a clinical psychologist, but feel like the MSW is the right path for me as it will get me started in a career I love.
An MSW sounds like it could be a good option for you. You can have a rewarding career as a therapist as an LCSW.