Rite Aid anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kineticswhiz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you think about rite aid? what kind of benefits and salary are they offering?

Members don't see this ad.

why the heck would anyone invest all that time and money in getting a PharmD to go work retail....

Members don't see this ad :)
why the heck would anyone invest all that time and money in getting a PharmD to go work retail....

We are a little bit bitter here... Maybe because retail pays the most (retail = faster paying off your loans)?

We are a little bit bitter here... Maybe because retail pays the most (retail = faster paying off your loans)?

LOL...

Oh puleeze..

I'm working with Rite Aid. The recent closure of the NV stores is worrisome, but I strongly doubt the whole company will crumble any time soon. I have always been treated well there and the pay is essentially identical to other chains in the area and benefits are comprehenisive as well... not to mention the stellar computer system.

For anyone looking to pay off their loans quickly, I have an awesome deal for you! 0% interest for 5 years!

If you have any questions, call me and I will tell you why you SHOULD NEVER PAY OFF LOANS EARLY! Put them on extended pay-off and forget about them, at least until you win the lottery.

But if you do want to take my offer, and in the process make me wealthier instead of yourself, I will consider on a case-by-case basis.

RA is ok, the have a decent computer system. My main complaint is that they usually spread the tech help as thin as possible.

here are some points to consider...in no specific order.

-the computer system is garbage. multiple crashes, slow processing, cumbersome and labor intensive steps make it a nightmare. its alot of fun when you run out of memory and the whole store goes down. better yet when there are 'know issues' that are not resolved for months.

-open long hrs nearly every holiday

-many locations open long hrs on the weekends

-most have a drive thru

-the CEO has a french education degree

-very expensive health insurance

-except for the newest design (which there only a few) the rx dept layout is horrible. no privacy (for patients or staff). small cramped work space.

-they talk the talk but come no where close to backing it up or even taking the steps to do so.

-no scheduled maint for any hardware. when it crashes and catches on fire you might get a field tech....if he feels like coming out. all the while you'll be 500 rxs in the hole.

-they took on an insane amount of debt with the eckerd deal

all in all probably par for the retail course, i'd imagine.

here are some points to consider...in no specific order.

Do you acturally even work for Rite Aid or did you have some bad dream about what it's like?
-the computer system is garbage. multiple crashes, slow processing, cumbersome and labor intensive steps make it a nightmare. its alot of fun when you run out of memory and the whole store goes down. better yet when there are 'know issues' that are not resolved for months.
It is far from garbage. I have never since the induction of Nexgen had a situation where we "run out of memory and the whole store goes down" nor had more tahn 5 computer crashes. If anything it is 100X more reliable than RAD's was and not affected as much by weather and other BS. It may run slow at time but so will any other system. It is slower to fill than rads but it is far from garbage. Have you used it?

-open long hrs nearly every holiday
I'll give you this, alot of store are open for regualar hours on Most holidays but is that really that bad?.

-many locations open long hrs on the weekends
Most non-24 hours stores I know of are 9-9 on saturday and 9-5 on sundays. Horrible I know

-most have a drive thru
Who doesn't these days and depending on where you work many don't. I rarely work a drive through store when I float

-the CEO has a french education degree
eh

-very expensive health insurance
I wouldn't know. I don't use their benifits

-except for the newest design (which there only a few) the rx dept layout is horrible. no privacy (for patients or staff). small cramped work space.
It's a 50% mix in my districsts. Some stores are big and spacous with plenty of room while the older stores are a little cramped. I has never been intolerable and I have never had the situation where I could not talk to the customer privately. Sorry the every pharmacy in teh world is not a 40,000sf 1month old walgreens

-they talk the talk but come no where close to backing it up or even taking the steps to do so.
examples? Isn't that standard practice in teh business world?

-no scheduled maint for any hardware. when it crashes and catches on fire you might get a field tech....if he feels like coming out. all the while you'll be 500 rxs in the hole.
What kind of feild techs do you deal with? In my district, when something important goes down the tech is there the same day. If it is a non-critical issue hes there within 36 hours. I have never been 500 in the hole do to a hardware issue. There is also scheduled maint. The scriptpro gets regular check-ups as well as the puters.

-they took on an insane amount of debt with the eckerd deal
so?

Obviously you are rather disgruntled about soemthing and feel it was Rite Aid's fault

Do you acturally even work for Rite Aid or did you have some bad dream about what it's like?

--for almost 9 yrs I worked there, in almost 40 dif stores. I've seen it all. It was more of a nightmare than a bad dream.

It is far from garbage. I have never since the induction of Nexgen had a situation where we "run out of memory and the whole store goes down" nor had more tahn 5 computer crashes. If anything it is 100X more reliable than RAD's was and not affected as much by weather and other BS. It may run slow at time but so will any other system. It is slower to fill than rads but it is far from garbage. Have you used it?

--Nexgen is trash. It is not built for any sort of volume. Too many steps, too many errors, too many crashes. I've seen this system from its infancy. I've seen how many rphs quit because of it. I've worked in the test stores. The programmers asked for input, but then never listened. They recentally (finally) fixed a major work flow barrier that was installed at least 2 yrs ago. Sure glad they listen to their rphs.

I'll give you this, alot of store are open for regualar hours on Most holidays but is that really that bad?.

--yes, it is. family time or rite aid...hmmm..thats a tough one

Most non-24 hours stores I know of are 9-9 on saturday and 9-5 on sundays. Horrible I know

-12 hr saturdays suck, and so do 12 hr sundays. no thanks

Who doesn't these days and depending on where you work many don't. I rarely work a drive through store when I float

--all but 1 or 2 around me have the DT. do you want fries with that?

I wouldn't know. I don't use their benifits

--if you did you'd know they are through the roof

It's a 50% mix in my districsts. Some stores are big and spacous with plenty of room while the older stores are a little cramped. I has never been intolerable and I have never had the situation where I could not talk to the customer privately. Sorry the every pharmacy in teh world is not a 40,000sf 1month old walgreens

--who is asking for 40k sq ft...how about a somewhat professional environment and not a sweat shop where the employees run into each other like ants on a wad of gum

examples? Isn't that standard practice in teh business world?
--claiming to have the best computer system, the best trained techs, opportunity for career advancement, well trained rphs, caring about their patients (if you've seen what i've seen and heard comments from higher-ups you'd know they dont). so what if its the standard....does that make it ok?

What kind of feild techs do you deal with? In my district, when something important goes down the tech is there the same day. If it is a non-critical issue hes there within 36 hours. I have never been 500 in the hole do to a hardware issue. There is also scheduled maint. The scriptpro gets regular check-ups as well as the puters.
--you're lucky. our scriptpro never got looked at. crash=hell. good luck getting a tech on a weekend.

Obviously you are rather disgruntled about soemthing and feel it was Rite Aid's fault
--since I left I feel like I got my soul back. I am sure every area is different but I'd consider a career as a tire jockey before going back. as far as their business outlook and debt, I think their stock price says it all.

hi.. i am just wondering if i become a part time intern pharmacist at Rite Aid, how much would i expect to get hourly? l am in southern California now...^^

Epic...I consistently admire your progressive thinking on this board....

However, as of today...the "investment" of going into retail is paying off great dividends...I wouldn't quite knock it as you did.