Risk of leaving intra-ocular foreign bodies in vitreous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlooDOOD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not asking for medical advice ***.

What are the chances that one will lose an eye if you leave intra-ocular foreign bodies in the eye, without taking them out. These bodies are likely microscopic paint fragments and/or wood-based.

Is infection more than likely to take the eye? Vision is excellent.

Members don't see this ad.

Foreign bodies have lodged themselves into the vitreous.

Members don't see this ad :)

What are the chances that one will lose an eye if you leave intra-ocular foreign bodies in the eye, without taking them out. These bodies are likely microscopic paint fragments and/or wood-based.

Are you sure the patient doesn't just have vitritis

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I guess what I'm asking is what are the consequences of leaving foreign bodies that have lodged themselves past the cornea and INSIDE the eye when the vision is excellent? Sorry doc if my question isn't making any sense.

How did the foreign bodies get in the eye?

Reactions: 1 user
How long have they been there? How can you be sure its paint or wood and not something else?

Reactions: 1 user
How did the foreign bodies get in the eye?

Yeah that's my confusion. How do you know that's what it is? Does the patient have an entry wound or entry tract? Is the eye open?

chances are good, now go see a doctor

Kinda sounds like one of those comically bad consult parodies you see on YouTube and or a little kid that just did something bad and is trying to weigh the consequences of not telling an adult. If you don't know what the particles are though, they should probably come out. I would worry that paint in particular might be toxic to the retina and cause long term vision loss. I don't know anything though, so don't ask me. To reiterate, go see an ophthalmologist.