RIP Aaron Beck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lived till 100. I remember he was still active in the past decade and would post once in a while on listservs.

Tim, we barely knew you.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Met him briefly way back when I was still a trainee at APA, seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

That was my impression. I saw him speak a number of years ago. One impression I was left with was his admission that the "humanistic influences" had a place in building a therapuetic alliance. That was after the second edition of his daughter's book and I believe it's now in the third.

Who is now the most well known living mental health researcher?

I'm old enough to remember going to conferences (typically AABT) where you could see presentations by people like Beck, Wolpe, Ellis, Hayes, etc. in the same weekend, and often on the stage together debated or collaborating. I'm not in the clinical psych treatment/research world these days, but seems like there's a lot more component and parametric analyses of existing treatments/packages than stuff being legitamately recognized as a whole new approah with a clearly identified originator. Maybe ACT is the closest to that in recent years.

Dear Colleagues,

It has been so heartwarming to hear from so many of you. My brother, Dan Beck, and I really appreciate your kind words and messages about our father.

He had been bedridden for the past 10 months, having broken his hip in January. But his passion for his work kept him going. About 12 years or more ago, he teamed up with Paul Grant and colleagues (now at Beck Institute) to develop, test, refine, and study Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy (CT-R) for individuals diagnosed with serious mental health conditions, like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. We’re convinced that his excitement for this work (which was greater than for anything else he did in his career) is what kept him alive, especially this year. He had an iron will to live, but his heart probably just gave out. He died peacefully in his sleep sometime around 5 am on November 1st, at the age of 100.

My dad was so proud of his colleagues throughout the world, whether he knew you personally or not. He lived long enough to see CBT becoming the dominant psychotherapy in most countries. But he didn’t devote his life to the development of CBT for fame or status. He truly wanted to alleviate suffering.

The best way to honor Aaron Beck? Keep working hard for the benefit of individuals, their families, their communities, and beyond.

Warm regards,

Judy Beck

From a listserv

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Probably the two best known at this point. And, actual psychologists. FWIW, Linehan is retired.

When did Linehan retire? Given her reach it seems like I wouldn't have missed that news.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user