Right hand rule & Magnetic fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Image of Question for an Anion entering a Magnetic field

A) A
The right hand rule is used to determine the effect of a magnetic field on a pos. charged particle. Whatever is determined by the right hand rule is reversed for an anion. A charged particle spirals in a magnetic field, so B and D can be eliminated. The circular path is because the acceleration is radial, given the magnetic force is perpendicular to the particle's velocity.

---------------------------------

A bit confused here, and maybe it's because I don't understand why the anion would be moving in a circular path. Also what do they mean by "a charged particle spins in a magnetic field." I approached this question using the right hand rule, and determined a pos. charged particle would be pushed towards the top of the page, while a neg. charged particle would be pushed towards the bottom of the page, hence I chose OPTION B, which is how I've seen this type of problem come up in other questions before. Is this incorrect because they are specifically saying it is due to a magnetic field???

Members don't see this ad.

Because it is in a magnetic field, it will constantly be under the influence of that magnetic field. That's why its constantly rotating. Using the right hand rule, your finger (the magnetic field) would point into the page, your thumb (direction of the anion) would be point to the right (because it is coming in from the left), and your palm would face up. Because this is an anion, its force would point downward, instead of the direction of your palm (upward for a cation).

Does this make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
Because it is in a magnetic field, it will constantly be under the influence of that magnetic field. That's why its constantly rotating. Using the right hand rule, your finger (the magnetic field) would point into the page, your thumb (direction of the anion) would be point to the right (because it is coming in from the left), and your palm would face up. Because this is an anion, its force would point downward, instead of the direction of your palm (upward for a cation).

Does this make sense?

yep, thank you!