Rice Post-Bacc (Houston)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OilMan2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,
I am looking for feedback from students with direct experience with the Rice Class III Continuing Studies post-bacc program, particularly as a means of performing a career change to M.D. I have heard it said that '1/4 of Rice graduates attend Baylor,' yet, I have also heard it said that it doesn't matter where you do your post-bacc, so long as you ace the classes. For those of you who have had experience with Rice, or other post-bacc programs, particularly in the Houston Area, how would you answer the following:
1) Was the program worth the cost / did it help you reach your goals?
2) How selective was the post-bacc program admission?
3) Did you feel that Rice [or other post-bacc school] provided a support network that improved your application to medical schools; or as an informal program, were you mostly 'doing it on your own' anyways, and it the institution was really just a name on your resume?
4) Roughly how many hours did you take there? If you didn't take all your pre-req.s, how many did you take?
5) Roughly how long, after enrolling in post-bacc classes, did you start medical school? I am guessing 2-3 years.​

For background, I am a 29 year old petroleum engineer considering a career change; primary concern is overcoming weak undergraduate GPA (3.18), also have a master's degree (3.75 GPA), not sure how that helps. I would need to stay in the Houston area, due to wife's career.

Regards,
John

Members don't see this ad.

You may find a hit or two here, but I've not really seen that program in particular discussed on this board. It may be worth trying the Post Bac forum.