RIC externship 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSKalltheway

I got the magic stick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any students joining me at RIC this summer? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!...its a great experience...feel free to PM me if you have any questions

btw I actually met my roommate for the externship through her reply to a post I made on here last year that was asking the exact same question as you just did...

Hello!

Yes, i'll be joining you in Chicagooooooo!

I was very excited to get that email. So excited, I had to call Diane Ross the verify that they had sent the email to the right person :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Yes, i'll be joining you in Chicagooooooo!

I was very excited to get that email. So excited, I had to call Diane Ross the verify that they had sent the email to the right person :D

Congrats to you!!! I'm so AMPED about going, I think I must have stared at that email for about 20 mintues...maybe more I dont quite remember. I kept reading it to make sure it really did say "Congratulations..." and not "We regret to inform you..." :laugh:

I just found out I'll be there too! I'll actually called RIC on Friday about my status because I didn't receive an email on Wednesday. It turns out they had sent me an acceptance email on Wednesday but for some reason it didn't go through.

Does anyone know if they provide any type of housing over the summer?

Congrats! Thats awesome! They actually dont provide housing, but I can give you a few links with local sublets...Ill PM you with them

oooh Housing!

Yes yes. I called around asking friends from chicago, and even looked in Craigslist.

it seems housing near the hospital is rather pricey.

A RIC graduate friend of mine said that a Abbott Hall (?) dormitory was near, and it might be possible to arrange summer housing with them.

Please, I would greatly appreciate any info regarding this also!

cheers.

oooh Housing!

Yes yes. I called around asking friends from chicago, and even looked in Craigslist.

it seems housing near the hospital is rather pricey.

A RIC graduate friend of mine said that a Abbott Hall (?) dormitory was near, and it might be possible to arrange summer housing with them.

Please, I would greatly appreciate any info regarding this also!

cheers.

That housing is not available any more. The best deals I heard last summer were people (as many as 4) sharing an aptmt - u can get a 1BR for about 1500 or so within walking distance and if u dont' care about space, can probably squeeze 3-4 ppl in it. Also, u can look along the red line of the L to see if u can get something a bit further out.

I saw a 1 BR sublease on craigslist for 1200. Anything that says walking distance to magnificent mile will be within walking distance to RIC. You could also look into Evanston - there's a campus shuttle from Northwestern memorial to Evanston that u can take (I think u guys get a temporary ID card from northwestern (called wildcard)).

hope this helps

Hey, you may want to try looking into http://www.canterburycourtapartments.com/ as they offer short-term, fully furnished apartments. I stayed there last summer and shared a 1 bedroom w/ 2 other externs. The sharing a 1 bedroom part sounds worse then it really is. The two girls shared the bedroom and I had a bed in the corner of the living room....so it was kind of like living in a studio apartment for me (or at least thats what I told my gf back home....). Its about a mile walk from RIC and 2 blocks from the beach! Anyway, the only downside (and basically the whole reason to need to share it w/ 3 people) is that you need to sign a 3 month lease even though the program is only 2 months. Apts ranged from around 1200 for studios to around 15-1700 for 1 bedrooms. Doing the math...its really not too bad considering the salary you get for the summer.

About craigslist..... you really have to keep checking it daily and sending out a lot of emails. The apts listed as summer sublets near the mag mile were going almost w/i the same day they were listed.

Hope that helps and good luck

I have a friend who is a mudphud at U Chicago who has been helping me out. Granted, these apartments are down in Hyde Park for the most part so where you save greatly on price, you suffer in distance. Everyone (especially my mom) tells me that Chicago public transportation is excellent, so in that case I'm not all that worried. But then again I wake up at 6:30 for class every morning...

http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/category.php?category=apartments

Someone got back to me and said that staying for only the 8 weeks would be fine too, so I figured this would also be a good option to present. Hope that is helpful!

So, for at least the people who are going this summer and are on this forum, is anyone interested in sharing a place together?

I have a friend who is a mudphud at U Chicago who has been helping me out. Granted, these apartments are down in Hyde Park for the most part so where you save greatly on price, you suffer in distance. Everyone (especially my mom) tells me that Chicago public transportation is excellent, so in that case I'm not all that worried. But then again I wake up at 6:30 for class every morning...

http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/category.php?category=apartments

Someone got back to me and said that staying for only the 8 weeks would be fine too, so I figured this would also be a good option to present. Hope that is helpful!

thanks! I've emailed a few people regarding summer sublet so far. I heard that hyde park is not in a great part of town. And that the only public transit options going into downtown are the Bus.

but, the cheaper rent seems worth it. Lincoln Park was suggested as a place to stay, considering we are only in town for 2 months.

I'll keep investigating. who knows, maybe we'll share the bus together to RIC. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they're going to send out more detailed information than what was in the acceptance letter?

I was just wondering that myself the other day. Im assuming they will get back to us very soon about that since the date for us to confirm was Friday. Im really itchin to hear more about it!

Does anyone know if they're going to send out more detailed information than what was in the acceptance letter?
I can't remember exactly when it came....but I got a thick packet last year w/ some forms to fill out and more detailed info about when/where you need to be for the start of the program.

Taus,
What's the dress code like at RIC (i.e., shirt/tie, scrubs, white coat)?
Thanks!

Thanks! I'll have to go buy some shirts and ties.

Can anyone tell me, what the daily routine will look like?

Found out today that I'm in with you guys for the summer externship.
I'm living outside of Chicago in the west 'burbs (I'm a CCOM student), so I'll be braving a nasty commute every morning to get there...but this program should be more than worth it.

Found out today that I'm in with you guys for the summer externship.
I'm living outside of Chicago in the west 'burbs (I'm a CCOM student), so I'll be braving a nasty commute every morning to get there...but this program should be more than worth it.

Are there any OMT related events going on at CCOM during the summer? I'de like to come by and visit the school sometime.

Congrats to everyone!!!

I don't mean to start a thread within a thread but... Does anyone have advice, for a soon to be MS-I, regarding what makes a competitive applicant for the RIC summer externship?

Thanks and congrats again!

WamWammy,
I'll give you my opinion, I'm not sure if it's correct. The application for the externship doesn't ask anything about grades, letters of recommendation or MCAT scores. All that you provide for them to make a selection are your personal statement, CV, and answers to some generic questions. Since you were accepted to med school I'm assuming your CV is pretty good (you also don't have much time to improve it). That leaves your personal statement. I had several PM&R physicians look mine over, which I believe helped a lot. If you don't have any experience with PM&R, I would try to get some this summer. This will provide you with more insight into PM&R and some real life experiences to talk about in your personal statement. I would also recommend submitting the application as early as possible. It's posted online and has not changed for the past several years. You could complete the application early and then as soon as they post the 2008 application online, submit yours.
I hope that helps.

Who all is coming to RIC?

I got
oreosandsake
ASUAZCOM
MSKalltheway

There's a welcome luncheon on Monday at 11am. Hope to see you all there!

I'll be the one wearing the white coat:laugh:

WamWammy,
I'll give you my opinion, I'm not sure if it's correct. The application for the externship doesn't ask anything about grades, letters of recommendation or MCAT scores. All that you provide for them to make a selection are your personal statement, CV, and answers to some generic questions. Since you were accepted to med school I'm assuming your CV is pretty good (you also don't have much time to improve it). That leaves your personal statement. I had several PM&R physicians look mine over, which I believe helped a lot. If you don't have any experience with PM&R, I would try to get some this summer. This will provide you with more insight into PM&R and some real life experiences to talk about in your personal statement. I would also recommend submitting the application as early as possible. It's posted online and has not changed for the past several years. You could complete the application early and then as soon as they post the 2008 application online, submit yours.
I hope that helps.

Thanks ASUAZCOM!

WamWammy,
I hope that helps.

I completely agree with this. Except for having some PM&R docs look over my PS (which is a very good idea), I made sure to shadow a few in my area and got to crackin' on the personal statement sometime in late Jan. before they posted the new application. I think I submitted my complete application two weeks after it was posted in mid-Feb. I think having some shadowing experience, a genuine interest in PM&R (and learning about the WHOLE field, not saying something like I'm only going to do Pain), and as with almost everything else, applying early...really early. You should have a decent shot after that.

There's a welcome luncheon on Monday at 11am. Hope to see you all there!

I'll be the one wearing the white coat:laugh:

We get fed too? This is just sounding better and better! Axm, youre wearing a white coat too? I'll be in the short one cause Id rather not anyone call me doctor yet. Us M1's are still in diapers :hardy:

As a side note, after exploring Chicago a bit today when I didnt have to do pre-externship stuff at HR, I decided this city is top choice for residency (even over going back home to NY :)) I see why everyone tells me they love Chicago!

As a side note, after exploring Chicago a bit today when I didnt have to do pre-externship stuff at HR, I decided this city is top choice for residency (even over going back home to NY :)) I see why everyone tells me they love Chicago!

:laugh: I think there's a reason why they do the externship in the summer and not during the beautiful Chicago winter...:scared:

Congrats and good luck to those who are about to start the externship......it was a really great experience last year and Chicago in the summer is awesome. I can assure you that it will be wayyyy better then what you will be doing next summer....ie studying your a$$ off for the boards so you can hopefully earn your way back to RIC in a few years...

Thanks ASUAZCOM!

I am having such an incredible experience here!

It might sound like a lot of preparation for a summer externship, especially considering that the application is rather laid back (they dont require transcripts, or a LOR from the Dean of your school...) but I'de definitely listen to what those two have to say re this program.

It'll all pay off when you find yourself spending your summer at RIC :thumbup: