Rheum community hospital research ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheff949

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

I’m an IM resident PGY1 really interested in a rheum fellowship. I’m training in a community hospital in NJ with ~200 beds. We do not have an in-house rheum fellowship and our rheum attending is not doing any research at this time. My only idea so far is reaching to nearby hospitals in NYC if they have anything going on, but I’m unsure what that will yield. Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

You have a real advantage by being close to NYC. I would reach to places with rheumatology fellowships about research opportunities. Bench research will not likely work well. Ask for clinical research opportunities instead. You may be able to analyze data off site on certain projects.

Totally agree - try to get into an academic program. The other thing you could do is try to do non-rheum research. It's always best to have publications in the field, but any research would be helpful for your application and would have the benefit of possibly getting you a recommendation from someone at your home institution. Try both and good luck!