rewriting personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taramiller27

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completing an AACOM application for the second year. Do I need to completely rewrite my personal statement, or simply update it? Do "they" not want to see any of the same stuff??

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the schools you applied to (if you are applying to those schools again) and ask if your essay had anything to do with not being accepted (thus needs improvement) . If the answer is yes...improve it, otherwise just update it, IMHO. Best wishes with your application.

When I got rejected at MSUCOM, a member of the admissions staff was nice enough to call me and go over with me on what to work on if I wanted to reapply the following year. She said that in the essays and personal statments, they definitely want an update on what you have done in the past year to improve your application. She said they frown upon seeing the same things as last year, even if the statements and essays were good from last year. Thats only one school's opinion but it makes a lot of sense to me.