Revlimid sinus cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical student interested in ENT. As I have limited knowledge of treatment (starting 2nd year), I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I was talking with a med onc and he had a patient with sinus cancer that instead of recommending surgery as recommended by the ENT, (pt on plavix and aspirin for stent placement 3 years ago), he started treatment with revlimid. Now, I am not a cocky med student that ever acts like I know more than others, but my understanding is that FDA approved this drug for multiple myleoma. Further, I thought that paranasal sinus cancers were not usually tx with med, rather surg or rad. I am really hoping someone will clear this up as I do not have contact with the med onc anymore (one time site visit) and I would rather not question an expert that was not very inviting to questions, but this is really bothering me.

Thank you very much in advance.

DPMS

Members don't see this ad.

If I had sinus ca, I would want it cut out....

"Never in doubt, cut it out"

Haven't heard of using primary chemo for cure for typical sinus ca.

I guess I'd need to know the type of sinus cancer this was, but I agree with the Throat, sinus carcinomas usually need to be excised.

We cut to cure.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I would like to thank you both for replying; I appreciate it. Second, when I checked the notes I wrote the path report stated it was a plasmacytoma. Would this information change anything?

Thank you very much

DPMS

Yeah, well, that makes more sense since multiple myeloma is a type of a plasmacytoma.

Hi dpms,

not to be rude or anything, but why bother posting a question like this on SDN?

Look it up.

A 2 second google search yielded this article:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2532.htm

You'll learn a lot more if you read through that than ask anonymous people on a message board.

I'm a medical student interested in ENT. As I have limited knowledge of treatment (starting 2nd year), I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I was talking with a med onc and he had a patient with sinus cancer that instead of recommending surgery as recommended by the ENT, (pt on plavix and aspirin for stent placement 3 years ago), he started treatment with revlimid. Now, I am not a cocky med student that ever acts like I know more than others, but my understanding is that FDA approved this drug for multiple myleoma. Further, I thought that paranasal sinus cancers were not usually tx with med, rather surg or rad. I am really hoping someone will clear this up as I do not have contact with the med onc anymore (one time site visit) and I would rather not question an expert that was not very inviting to questions, but this is really bothering me.

Thank you very much in advance.

DPMS