Reviewing Stereochemistry before pharm. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

As my 8 months of freedom are about to end in approximately one month and I embark on my first year of pharmacy school, I've decided to review what I believe is a relevant topic that might be quite useful in pharm school....stereochemistry. I haven't studied the material in about a year and figure reviewing details such as R/S absolute configuration, enantiomers, and diastereomers might serve me well when I begin to learn about medications, most of which are racemic compounds. Do you guys feel what I'm doing is a good use of my time or plainly unnecessary?

Personally, I happen to believe stereochem is EXTREMELY important because you encounter it frequently while working in a pharmacy. Dextroamphetamine, Levothyroxine, Levofloxacin (Levaquin), among others all serve to remind us how tiny structural differences around a simple chiral carbon can impart vastly different properties on a drug. A nitrogen atom that is sticking out front (on a wedge) in one enantiomer may have either no effect or a teratogenic effect compared to the mirror image form having the nitrogen atom sticking out in the back (on a dashed line). I truly think is amazing and much more interesting than boring constitutional isomers. Until recently, I read that the enantiomer of the all too common cough suppressant, dextromethorphan, is actually a potent opioid narcotic. Just amazing how two groups that have been switched around a carbon can promote such a difference in drug uses. How cool is that?

I guess I'm just too excited about reviewing this stuff again, but seriously, is it really necessary? Please let me know your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

no.

it's cool that you're so interested in it but med chem wasn't nearly as detailed as organic chemistry.

Yeah don't waste your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
R and S.

i think you're good.

Sounds like you know it well enough already. Try to relax before school starts. Maybe you're too excited for that though.:D

haha..this is good news! what about all the reaction mechanisms, electron delocalization, etc etc.. the list goes on forever. but to what extent of orgo chem is involved? i think this topic was discussed elsewhere but just a quick answer from anyone?

I had reaction mechanisms in pathophysiology and pharmaceutics. Not so much of electron delocalization or orbitals, etc. You will see the chemistry structures again in biochemistry and med chem. Good luck with school! I'm glad to see you're so excited. :)