Reviewing exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FabihaBushra

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Can anyone please tell me how should I review for DATBooster practice exams for all the sections? I’m of those 1% for whom anki doesn’t work. Please tell me the techniques you guys used that helped you succeed.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Because I had the time, I usually dedicated the day after I took a practice test to review the test. For Biology, I read every explanation, even to the questions I got right because the explanations were usually packed with lots of good information about the topic in general, not just the specific question asked. Provides a mini review for yourself. For PAT and RC, I didn't really need to read every question's answers but I would definitely go back over the question I got wrong and find out why I got them wrong so I could keep improving. I would also analyze time splits that were comfortable for me in these two sections. For example, you have to be aware of time during the PAT and how much you are spending on each sub section. Where I felt comfortable was if I could get through angle ranking-pattern folding within 30-33 minutes, then that would give me 15 minutes for TFE and 15 minutes for keyhole (which is a perfect scenario, doesn't really split like this. but the rough time split is what I was looking for. Usually ended up spending 14 minutes on TFE and 11 minutes on keyhole during practice tests). For RC, I would shoot for completing an individual passage by 19.5 minutes. Sometimes I would go a little over and that gave me a reminder that I have to speed up a bit for the rest of the passages. I shot for 19.5 minutes for each passage because I wanted to make sure I answered every questions. This is essential. You DO NOT want to get hung up on a single question, even if it seems like an easy recall questions but you just can't find the answer. You need to keep moving because you do not want to guess on two-three questions at the end because you ran out of time. They could have been really easy to answer but you just didn't have time. So pace yourself and be conscious of time.
For QR, I'd go over all the questions that I got incorrect and even the questions that I got correct but took me more than a minute and 30 seconds to come up with the answers. You don't want to be spending a lot of time on any one question so find out what questions seem to trip you up or make you think longer than you should be thinking. For OC/GC, I'd use the same review method as for QR.

I also started a google docs for my reviewing of the practice tests (mainly for Bio but also for the other science sections and QR). Anytime I came across a topic during my review of a practice test that I didn't completely feel comfortable with, then I'd jot it down in the google docs. I would come back at the end of the each day, and look up the topic that I needed help/review on. I wouldn't get through everything on my list in one day, but it would be something I would check off and work at every week. Sharpen your sword.

Reactions: 1 user