Review course for oral boards- Wills or San Antonio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeplastics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has been to both (or knows about) the Wills and San Antonio review courses- which one is better for the written boards? I've heard that the SAOC is a great value but my fellowship will pay for me to attend one of my choice so cost isn't an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SAOC is a fantastic course (and great value) for written boards. I don't know that it would be all that helpful for orals, but that could just be me. I've been told be people who have gone to both that Wills and SAOC are comparable, but I can't speak to that myself.

I think that the Osler review can't be beat for orals.

SAOC sounds like a good course and a good value. Does anyone have any thoughts about the Illinois eye review course? It looks similar to the Wills (has David Guyton as the optics lecturer). It's not just the cost of the course but the investment of time, so I am also curious for people's opinions!

Thanks
jason

Members don't see this ad :)
A little late to the party, but I have the ultimate experience with review courses. I was always a lecture person, not a self studier. I attended both the Wills and SAOC in residency, and the Illinois Eye review and Osler Oral review last year. The Wills and SAOC were comparable in my opinion for written preparation. SAOC was a far better value. The course is cheaper and the hotel is cheaper.

Illinois was not as good of a course, but last year was the first year. Dr. Azar, the Chairman, was very enthusiastic about the course and I'm sure it will improve dramatically based on the feedback they received from the first course. It also had the benefit of having a clinical meeting at the same time, which I like. I was always weak in Peds, so I went to every Peds lecture I could and it helped on my Writtens. The best part about the Illinois course was that it ended a few days before written boards. Nothing like cramming. I didn't study much more than I did for OKAPs, and improved 30 percentile over my average OKAP score.

I don't know if they still have the Penn course, but I bought the handouts on Ebay and it looked pretty comparable content wise to Wills and SAOC.

I would also concur with Osler being great for oral boards. The whole process is a little foreign and it just gets you into the mode of thinking you need to quickly go through the courses.

Bump, it's that time of year again.

It looks like most of the courses are scheduled very close to the written boards this year (wills, illionois, and san antonio). I was hoping for a bit more time between the review course and the exam.

The Osler course is earlier, and I've heard it's great for orals. Is it recommended for the writtens as well?

My recommendation would be the San Antonio course for writtens and Osler for orals. SA is not bad for orals (though too detailed) and Osler is not nit-picky enough for writtens.