This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chippopotamus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask for advice for a decision I'm trying to make. For the summer, I am deciding between a REU (research with diseases) or an internship with a biomedical device company (this would be mostly machinery work). Do medical schools usually have a greater preference for summer research activities? I originally wanted to choose the internship since I already do research during the school year, but I heard that REUs provide a very unique experience. I'm also hesitating because the REU seems to be more health-based. For context, I'm a sophomore undergrad majoring in biomedical engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

top schools tend to be more research oriented and care that you've done research. that being said not all of your activities need to be research. you are doing some during the school year so if you want the biomed internship then definitely do that.

Reactions: 1 user
You will be well served to follow your passion, rather than trying to second guess what prestigious schools want.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will be well served to follow your passion, rather than trying to second guess what prestigious schools want.

Absolutely agree. Two great options, I would recommend choosing the one that you are passionate about, as the amount you learn tends to relate to how engaged you are with your work. I would not worry about the appearance of this - nobody reasonable will begrudge you or lose respect for you branching out and doing something new and interesting, if you truly are interested in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't overdo research unless you want to. I made the mistake of thinking research is the most important activity, and wish I had done more clinical or community outreach stuff. In terms of REU or summer internship, I don't see why medical schools would care.

If you are asking about longevity, no. You don't need longevity for research. A simple summer doing research where you bust out a poster and an LOR is enough to check the box and do it pretty well too. So, you decide.

Reactions: 1 users