Returning to School for Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doug081979

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been a lot of posts about this already. But I'm considering returning to school to take the prerequisites for Physical Therapy. However, I'm 34 and my background is in computer science so I obviously don't have any of the required science classes.

I'm also working as a software engineer and I don't find it satisfying at all. So I'll need to take the prerequisites in the evening after work. So I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pursue this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure there have been a lot of posts about this already. But I'm considering returning to school to take the prerequisites for Physical Therapy. However, I'm 34 and my background is in computer science so I obviously don't have any of the required science classes.

I'm also working as a software engineer and I don't find it satisfying at all. So I'll need to take the prerequisites in the evening after work. So I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pursue this? Thanks!

anything that makes you a happier person and improves YOU is always worth it brah

question do you have kids and family? because youll have to really focus on this

No, I don't have a family. It will definitely will be a lot of work seeing that I'll be working while completing the prereq's.

Members don't see this ad :)
You and I are in very similar situations! I am 32 with an IT background (Management Information Systems). I have been working as a DBA for the past 10 years, and two years ago, I started taking night classes to fill my PT prereqs (I didn't take any science classes while obtaining my undergrad degree).

I will submit my application in a few weeks...and let me say that taking classes is WORTH IT. I had to make sacrifices while working full time and going to school, but knowing that I was taking steps toward being a PT has been invigorating.

I was able to take 2-3 classes each semester (including summers) and was able to get the prereqs done in six semesters (two years).

It's a lot of work, but if you really want to make it work, you'll make it work!

I'm 32, with a Math background and just wrapped up my first semester of PT school. For me, getting my pre-reqs meant I spent a solid year at a community college getting in a bunch of things. If it hadn't been for some psych electives as an undergrad, I probably would have had to delay my plans for another year.

Getting in pre-reqs is a pain. One of the most difficult aspects is just coming up with a plan that will work for you and the programs you wish to apply to. Every program seems a little bit different. What will work for some won't work for others, so get ready for spreadsheets galore trying to keep track of everything....

And make sure you get someone at your target programs to view and sign off on your pre-reqs early on. So many people get their applications tossed in the trash because they don't meet the requirements, so make sure you get something in writing confirming that you're good to go.

Also, you may see the long timeline to starting school as a major disadvantage, but consider the upside: you can put yourself in a better financial situation by socking away money or establishing residency in a state with low cost schools. I moved to re-establish residency in my home state where schools and cost of living were cheaper (I was able to live off savings during that time, which helped tremendously). My year spent doing pre-reqs allowed me to get instate tuition and is saving me quite a bit. .

Bottom line: if this is the route you're going to take, there is a lot of work ahead, but it sounds like you have some pretty strong advantages working for you. Best of Luck!

It's definitely worth it. I'm in my late-20s so you're not much older.

Limit yourself to two science classes per semester so you can concentrate and do well, and maybe take one during the summer. However, summer classes might not be compatible with your full-time job, unless your supervisor allows you to be flexible and take time off.

I don't know how many outstanding pre-requisites you have but you should plan on taking two years to finish all your classes, obtain LORs, and observe in several settings.

If it takes you two years to get into school and another three to finish, you won't even be 40-years-old and you'll have 30 years to work as a PT.

Apply to an in-state school and pay less for school. You should, however, apply to a few out-of-state schools and some private schools as alternatives.

Kevin

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll probably start taking the prereq's this fall.