Return to FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oo Cipher oO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am excited to have matched to a civilian family medicine residency for the upcoming academic year. I have been working as a general medical officer in the Navy since completing a military family medicine internship in 2017. My patient panel has been made up entirely of mostly healthy active duty men and women. I will be starting (again) as a PGY-1.

What resources would you recommend in order to brush up on some comprehensive family medicine? I have not been exposed to inpatient medicine, OBGYN, or pediatrics for almost 4 years. I have considered a subscription to Uworld ABFM questions or AAFP comprehensive online review. Any tips?

I plan to spend most of my time relaxing and enjoying my time off before residency begins. I just want to have something to spend maybe 20-30 min per day to help remember things I may have forgotten from FM internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it way easier and just start going through AAFP podcast at 1.5x to 2x speed. Sadly some the “older” info present is still more up to date than the way some docs currently practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I would just start with the Online MedEd videos (they're free to watch) on the topics you feel like you're behind in. I think that's what lots of third/fourth years are using these days for their clinical rotations, and it's a good starting point for review. Good overview of the basics, workup of common complaints/problems, etc. Then if you really feel like you need more on a particular topic some of the resources I often use are:
-For OBGYN - Zheng little red book, ACOG bulletins
-For peds: Harriet Lane
-For inpatient IM: honestly I mostly just use uptodate or specialty organization guidelines, e.g. ACC
-In general: the AFP journal has some fantastic articles on the clinical approach to pretty much anything you can think of, but generally is more outpatient focused

Sounds like you know this but take it easy and give yourself a good break before residency! Honestly you probably don't have to study at all unless it will really make you feel better. Remember that lots of the graduating fourth years are in a similar position - they've had lots of virtual rotations due to COVID. And you'll pick things up quickly on the job.

Congrats on matching!!!

Don't care what anyone says, I will always recommend OnlineMedEd.