retrobulbar parasthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the cataract surgeries I have seen, the resident gives a retrobulbar paralytic prior to the operation. In the last case I saw, however, the resident then asked the patient if he could look to the left (minutes after shot), and the patient was able to. I asked the resident and she said this is fairly common in her patients. What have you guys found? Does the retrobulbar shot completely paralyze the eye?

Members don't see this ad.

I good retrobulbar block will result in almost complete paralysis; however, it may take more than a few minutes for the anesthesia to take full effect. Even with partial retrobulbar anesthesia, this is enough for most surgeries.

So how effective are you guys? Do you check to see if there is partial or complete paralysis, or who cares?

tennik said:
So how effective are you guys? Do you check to see if there is partial or complete paralysis, or who cares?

I've done many blocks now and get good paralysis. However, when I don't get a good block, it's no big deal because I'll give a sub-tenon's block during surgery. A sub-tenon's block will deliver the anesthetic in the same compartment.