Retroactive forebearance/deferment and late payments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before. For various reasons, in the past 4-5 years my student loans went into repayment a couple of times and I had no idea they had done so. As a result, I have two clusters of late payments 30-60-90-120 back in maybe 2012 and then one 90-day late in 2015. I contacted the lender and was able to get a retroactive forebearance/deferment in both cases which brought the account out of delinquency and set the current amount due and past due balances to $0.

However, nelnet continued to report to the credit bureaus the late payments. I had read about an FTC memo or something indicating that a retroactive forebearance that does such a thing basically means the account was not actually in repayment during that time and no payment would have been due. As such, it is inaccurate for the lender to report to the CB's a late payment history.

This totally makes sense and I have seen the memo. My question, then, is whether anyone has had luck in getting their federal student loan lenders to agree and, if so, how they went about doing it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.