Retirment calculation for prior service (Army) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieselDoctor

Gramoton Cleric
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out of the army for 10 years now, and am planning to enter med school with the HSPS scholarship. Do my 3 years of prior service count toward retirement?

Members don't see this ad.

DieselDoctor said:
I have been out of the army for 10 years now, and am planning to enter med school with the HSPS scholarship. Do my 3 years of prior service count toward retirement?

They ought to. In fact, since you're prior service, I think you could join a local reserve unit during medical school, drill, and add 4 more years to your retirement if you are so inclined. You'd definitely want to check the particulars of HPSP policy though, since I'm not exactly an expert.

DieselDoctor said:

Yes, it will count towards your retirement! Ensure you provide the Health Recruiter with a copy of your DD 214, (Report of Separation from Active Duty), and any documentation of Reserve drill time and/or National Guard duty to make them aware of your prior service.