Retirement accounts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a nontrad issue.

Anyone make the mistake of looking at their retirement accounts lately?

I did.

I wish I hadn't.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm too scared.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked. I'm down 20%. Shouldn't have looked.

I'm down 37%, but not worried - the whole point of long term investments is that you can ride out these waves. We get more stock for our contributions right now which is awesome. :)

I cant tell what is more depressing, my retirement accouts or the 32 average that my physics class had on the last exam!

I have a few out there and my rate(s) of return varied from anywhere between -27 to -38...it wasn't pretty..

Here's a nontrad issue.

I did.

I wish I hadn't.

I diversified a long time ago so my losses were minimal. The market has been inflated for about 3 years now. I got out for the most part a year ago. People told me that it was a mistake to get out but I just didn't think that the market would stay at the 14,000 level for very long. I have about 10% of my retirement in blue chips and took a bit of a loss but I still plan on not having to use retirement for another 20 to 25 years (I am over 50). I am staying put at this point but my hit was minimal and my income is getting up to speed this year after being below $100,000K for my four years of medical school, seven years of residency and one of fellowship. I have minimal student loans (under $30K) so I am fine.

Silly looking at retirement accounts. They will rebound.

My husband works for one of those big banks that's been in the headlines lately. He gets a lot of his pay in stock which he's not allowed to sell. That stock was worth $50 a share last year, but today it's around $5. Our losses on that stock are equivalent to about a year's pay. (Thank God we weren't counting on it in our savings plan.)

three years ago I dumped about 70% of my stock to pay tuition and living expenses while I was doing my post-bacc program. Somewhat jokingly I told people that I decided education was a better place to invest. Now it looks like the right decision!

I kept the retirement accounts which have obviously done terribly, but things could be much much worse.

Here's a nontrad issue.

I did.

I wish I hadn't.

When I left my federal job I rolled over all I had in there into an IRA (granted, I only worked for one year before figuring out I'd rather go to med school)...but no, I haven't looked at that lately :)

Down 33%.:eek:

But not to worry, the government is involved now so you know it will rebound.:thumbdown:

No plans on retiring soon, so no worries.