Retention during Step 1 prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am somewhat concerned that the first few subjects that I study (path, phys, and micro) for Step 1will ultimately be the ones that I have the hardest time with retention, mainly the minutiae within these subjects. I did rather well in these courses, so concept wise I think I would be fine.
How is everyone else handling this? I thought about adding a day or so towards the end of my schedule just for review, but feel like I might be too burnt out to follow through on this plan.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
UC

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like most people combat the retention problem by going through First Aid several times during the last week. Also, during the course of answering thousands of questions during review, you will automatically get reinforcement of most of the critical stuff.

The severity of memory decline depends a lot on your prep length. Some kids that are only preparing for 2 or 3 weeks aren't likely to have as much of an issue with this, but the typical 4 or 5 week-er usually does. That's part of the rationale for some people saying that after about 3 weeks you start forgetting as much as you are adding. But I don't quite buy that.

I think my issue is that I didn't "learn" this stuff as I should have the first time...instead I crammed and memorized. This time around I'm actually trying to "learn" instead of memorize but it doesn't seem like I'm consolidating anything into long term storage. :( I'm really going to hate the next 2 months. I've been putting off doing questions until I finish my reviewing. Is that a bad idea?

I would like to know that too! Review first then do a month of nothing but questions. Or should you review a system/subject then do some questions before moving on to the next topic.
Any ideas, advice out there?
I keep hearing do lots and lots and lots of questions. But when should I start this?