Retaking the MCAT While Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lp317

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on applying to schools with a less-than-competitive score. I have a 505 on the new MCAT, I did decent on the first three sections and bombed the last one. I am trying to apply to this cycle, and my GPA and other parts of my application are strong, but I don't want schools to reject me with a lower MCAT. My question is, how late is too late to retake an MCAT if I am trying to apply this cycle? If I retook the test in June, would that be early enough for schools to consider me? I am worried about taking the test any sooner because I am still in school until mid-May, and want the ability to dedicate time for studying. Would it make more sense to hold off on applying until after I have received my second scores (mid-July), or is it in my favor to submit applications ASAP?

Thanks in advance,
LP

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine getting scores in july or even early august if you have a good score. Keep in mind that schools also look at your other experiences and parts of the application and how well written your essays are.

The best answer is always take it when you're ready.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my two cents, I didn't send in my primary application until end of June, took my exam a couple of days after and started prewriting secondaries mid-July. This timeline worked for me, with several interview invites (one at a top 10 school) and multiple acceptances. My advice for you would be to start writing your PS now, if you haven't already. I think that will be your biggest hurdle, on par with studying for the MCAT (it was for me, at least). Submit your primary to at least one school so you can get it verified quickly and then start adding schools after you've received your score. Secondaries will start flooding in so you should start prewriting them as soon as you've completed everything else. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on applying to schools with a less-than-competitive score. I have a 505 on the new MCAT, I did decent on the first three sections and bombed the last one. I am trying to apply to this cycle, and my GPA and other parts of my application are strong, but I don't want schools to reject me with a lower MCAT. My question is, how late is too late to retake an MCAT if I am trying to apply this cycle? If I retook the test in June, would that be early enough for schools to consider me? I am worried about taking the test any sooner because I am still in school until mid-May, and want the ability to dedicate time for studying. Would it make more sense to hold off on applying until after I have received my second scores (mid-July), or is it in my favor to submit applications ASAP?

Thanks in advance,
LP
August. And as a teaching moment, schools will not hold up your app waiting to see what your new score is.

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who retook in late July while applying and received a good amount of interviews and several acceptances, I would say the latest you should be retaking is early August. It's been said time and time again on SDN that one should have their app complete by labor day (early September) to be considered "on time." It takes about a month for you to receive your scores. Pre write those secondaries (most schools will send them to you after you've been verified) and you'll have everything ready to go by the time you receive your new score.
All that said, it is very important to feel ready BEFORE you retake. You need to feel confident that you can score higher. Do not rush just because you feel like you need to retake by a certain date and submit this cycle. BE SURE!
I was set to retake in June, but I knew in my gut that taking that extra month would help me build on my test taking abilities. It worked out for me.
Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also in the same situation. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT while applying but I'm uncertain of how the whole process exactly works. Can I send in a couple of primary applications and secondaries with my old score and then send in other secondaries after receiving my newer score?