Retaking the CBSE; How should I review Sketchy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragnarock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the most recent CBSE and scored ~65 (~185) and will be planning to take it again in Feb 2021. Was short on time the first run through and only covered: 100% of sketchy micro & ~60% of sketchy pharm without the use of anki. My plan is to cover sketchy pharm followed by anki (i've already started), but am getting behind on reviews. So I have two questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with:

1. What is your method of studying sketchy pharm using the videos & pepper deck (in detail if you can)?

2. If you've retaken the CBSE before, how did you go about reviewing sketchy micro? Did you rewatch the videos? Has anyone had any experience covering just the sketchy micro pepper deck after months (~2months) of not looking at the sketchy micro material?

3. Any tips/tricks/set-ups you found useful for optimizing Anki learning & reviewing?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
where'd you access the anki if you dont mind me asking? Did it come with your subscription of sketchy?

Hey, so I took the CBSE multiple times. Anki is a great tool, but in my opinion there's unfortunately no way to "optimize" it. Like you, I had done all of sketchy micro and part of sketchy pharm for one attempt, and covered 100% of both for my last attempt. I didn't find the need personally to rewatch any videos between attempts, I essentially watched once and then reinforced with anki. It's set up in a way that you will get continuous exposure until you have truly mastered the content, I can still remember minutiae of some stuff months later. That being said, it sucks. It's a real grind, and you kinda have to just keep on top of hundreds of reviews by the end if you want it to stick.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Thank you for that insight, though. I think with this exam its just one of those things.. an exam lol and theres no real steadfast sure way to score super high. you can only do your best, even if you DID have all the time in the world. which most of us are pre-doc and don't. I'm sure even the post-doc's applying and reviewing for the CBSE are just as tired lol. Because you're human. You get TIRED!

In any case, I'd like to have the anki available in my bucket of tools. Did it come with your subscription to sketchy or?

Thanks again for your insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Thank you for that insight, though. I think with this exam its just one of those things.. an exam lol and theres no real steadfast sure way to score super high. you can only do your best, even if you DID have all the time in the world. which most of us are pre-doc and don't. I'm sure even the post-doc's applying and reviewing for the CBSE are just as tired lol. Because you're human. You get TIRED!

In any case, I'd like to have the anki available in my bucket of tools. Did it come with your subscription to sketchy or?

Thanks again for your insight.
There's a bunch of different decks floating out there made by med students in the past, sketchy doesn't have a deck with their subscription. Some examples are zanki, pepper, lightyear, etc.

There are without doubt ways to optimize anki. Check out Anking on youtube, hes a med student who scored very well on STEP and is sharing a lot of info on how to make your anki settings fit your own schedule. Youll need to get some addons but you can make anki EXTREMELY efficient and personalized. Absolutely essential to look into and understand anki if you're going to be doing well over 100k cards during your study period.