Retaking Physics I or continuing with Physics II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dee96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am planning to apply during the 2017-2018 cycle. I've completed every pre-req except Physics and Biochem. I've recently completed my fall semester and due to personal circumstances, I did not do well in Physics I (C-) and did not grasp most of the concepts . My pre-health committee will not accept credit for this in order to start my committee letter. However my grade in Physics I is good enough for me to continue on to Physics II. I am wondering whether I should just retake Physics I this spring ( I know I will get an A this time around) then take the MCAT without Physics II. Or go on to take Physics II, but retake Physics I next fall?

Either way my committee letter will be delayed , I also want to know how late these committee letters can be sent in to be considered for the applicant cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake. Most schools want a solid C or above. You also can't afford to have a poor foundation and do poorly on II.

Hi all,

So I am planning to apply during the 2017-2018 cycle. I've completed every pre-req except Physics and Biochem. I've recently completed my fall semester and due to personal circumstances, I did not do well in Physics I (C-) and did not grasp most of the concepts . My pre-health committee will not accept credit for this in order to start my committee letter. However my grade in Physics I is good enough for me to continue on to Physics II. I am wondering whether I should just retake Physics I this spring ( I know I will get an A this time around) then take the MCAT without Physics II. Or go on to take Physics II, but retake Physics I next fall?

Either way my committee letter will be delayed , I also want to know how late these committee letters can be sent in to be considered for the applicant cycle.

Physics is a pretty small portion of the MCAT...Physics II concepts make up a small portion of a small portion. Phys II is probably low yield on most tests, but each test is different regarding the amount of content from each subject. So I would say go ahead and retake phys I to solidify those concepts and not worry so much about phys II MCATwise.

You can send in committee letters well after you submit primaries and most schools will accept letters after you've sent in their secondaries if need be. It's best to have all your letters submitted before secondaries, though. And in my experience, do everything you can to get a good committee letter. Life sucks without one. I had to submit 3 extra LORs because I wasn't premed at my UG. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't grasp the concepts of 1, you'll be at a disadvantage going into 2. I did something similar, retaking a C in chem 1 for an A only after taking chem 2 and working at A+ level to get only a B.

Reactions: 1 user
Physics is a pretty small portion of the MCAT...Physics II concepts make up a small portion of a small portion. Phys II is probably low yield on most tests, but each test is different regarding the amount of content from each subject. So I would say go ahead and retake phys I to solidify those concepts and not worry so much about phys II MCATwise.

You can send in committee letters well after you submit primaries and most schools will accept letters after you've sent in their secondaries if need be. It's best to have all your letters submitted before secondaries, though. And in my experience, do everything you can to get a good committee letter. Life sucks without one. I had to submit 3 extra LORs because I wasn't premed at my UG. Good luck!
Thanks !