Retaking non-prerequisites courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henhen321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion about retaking non-prerequisites courses to increase cumulative GPA?
- Is it worth the time?
- Should I spend my time on something else?

My stats for context
cGPA: 3.54
pGPA: 3.60+
OB hours: 1500+ (geri, peds, sports, ortho, neuro, inpatient and outpatient and SNF)
EC:
volunteer for dance class and martial arts class with children with autism, down syndrome, and other conditions.
Pre-PT club member
Honors society club - a lot of community outreach.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't spend time (and money) re-taking non-prereqs. At this point, extra classes will hardly change your cGPA. Both your cGPA and pGPA are really good so I wouldn't worry. IDK your GRE scores but that's something that can change more than a cGPA

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't spend time (and money) re-taking non-prereqs. At this point, extra classes will hardly change your cGPA. Both your cGPA and pGPA are really good so I wouldn't worry. IDK your GRE scores but that's something that can change more than a cGPA
Your totally right! I put my grades into a GPA calculator and to raise my cGPA I would need to take like 26 more units =O

Instead I am going to use that time for

1. Improving my GRE (Currently my scores are 154 Q / 157 V / 3,5 AWA)
2. More OB hours
3. and this time appling for more private and put of state schools.

Do you think I should add to this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your totally right! I put my grades into a GPA calculator and to raise my cGPA I would need to take like 26 more units =O

Instead I am going to use that time for

1. Improving my GRE (Currently my scores are 154 Q / 157 V / 3,5 AWA)
2. More OB hours
3. and this time appling for more private and put of state schools.

Do you think I should add to this?
out-of state schools*

Good plan. Your GRE scores are pretty good so IDK if you would even need to re-take it. Not sure where you applied this cycle but maybe do more research on schools and what their requirements are and how far you are from your averages. You seem like a very good applicant based on your stats so if you aren't getting the results you want I'm assuming it's the programs you are applying too. Some schools purely rank you based on GPA and GRE scores (so mostly 4.0 students get in with crazy high GRE) while some take more a holistic approach. Some take bias to in-state or people who went to their undergrad. Just do some research cuz I think that's the best way to chose schools to apply to.

Good plan. Your GRE scores are pretty good so IDK if you would even need to re-take it. Not sure where you applied this cycle but maybe do more research on schools and what their requirements are and how far you are from your averages. You seem like a very good applicant based on your stats so if you aren't getting the results you want I'm assuming it's the programs you are applying too. Some schools purely rank you based on GPA and GRE scores (so mostly 4.0 students get in with crazy high GRE) while some take more a holistic approach. Some take bias to in-state or people who went to their undergrad. Just do some research cuz I think that's the best way to chose schools to apply to.
I think the reason why I wasn't accepted this cycle is due to my Personal Statement and my 3.5 AWA on the GRE.

But I think the biggest reasons why is that I applied mainly to the state schools in CA. Which are so completive because tuition is low and the average class size is only 25-30 students.

Hopefully I can fix this by having a DPT edit my PS and also applying to more private and out of state schools.