Retaking @ Community?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girl8996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
All of my pre-reg are communities college classes, nothing wrong with that.

I took loads of cc pre-reqs. no prob.

Members don't see this ad :)
Careful - you do NOT want to be seen as retaking core courses at CC because you initially got a bad grade. This is a huge red flag. I took all of my core science courses at a CC but I had already graduated prior to pursuing medicine, so I avoided that assumption.

I have couple science classes that i got 2.0 on and my university does not let me retake it because its a passing grade. Should I retake it at community college? Is taking science classes at community college look bad on application?
Gen Chem 1: 2.0
Bio 2: 2.5
Orgo: 2.0

I got 4 acceptances and I retook organic at a community college after taking it in at a university.

Get A's on the retakes and you won't have any problems. I took all of my prereqs at CC. Two of them were retakes.

Plus, you have a perfectly reasonable explanation for why you are taking them at CC, your university didn't give you any other choice.

My university is the same way I'll be retaking physics and orgo at my cc

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

DO is the community college of medicine. you should be fine

Hey OP,

I just retook a C I got in gen chem 1 and replaced it with an A. I' applying in this upcoming cycle so I can't speak for how schools will look at it, but from what I've read on here it doesn't seem to matter really, especially at osteopathic programs. CC is fine.

I would definitely recommend you retake at least one of those courses! It will make a huge difference in your science GPA for DO programs.

I took most of my prereqs at a cc, and I received ii's from ARCOM, BCOM, and LUCOM. I called PCOM, and they stated that cc prereqs will make me less competitive, so I'm not sure how broad this sentiment is. I would call schools and ask.