Retaking a prerequisite! Applying for DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3luckyb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a predicament. I originally took Organic Chemistry I at my school. At my school lecture (3) and lab (1) are combined to be one grade and I received a C- and most DO schools need a "C" or higher for the prereqs. I'm retaking the class this summer and avoiding taking it in Fall because I don't want the application to be put on hold due to awaiting the new Orgo grade. My school isn't offering the class over summer, but another 4-year college near me is offering Lecture and lab classes as two different classes where they don't combine the grades. The lecture is (3) credits and the lab is (2) credits. I'm really leaning towards just taking the lecture because I don't want to spend time in the lab because I'm also retaking my MCAT for the second time and I rather use that time towards MCAT instead of sitting in a lab where I already have gone through the procedures. Need opinions from everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm unfortunately I think you'd need to have a C grade in a lab section to meet that pre req.

But have you taken biochem? Most schools it seems these days have an 8 hour of organic chem requirement, but allow biochem to substitute some of those hours. Just something to consider. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm unfortunately I think you'd need to have a C grade in a lab section to meet that pre req.

But have you taken biochem? Most schools it seems these days have an 8 hour of organic chem requirement, but allow biochem to substitute some of those hours. Just something to consider. Good luck!

I'm trying to speak to my advisor to see if a letter can be sent to AACOMAS stating my grade from Lab at my school before it was combined I believe it was like an A (96+). And I have taken Biochem, but most schools only take that as a replacement for Orgo II. And Yes most schools want C and higher for lecture and lab. To my understanding I believe taking the lecture at the school I want to over summer will just say Organic Chemistry I "Grade" just like how my current one says on the transcript. Only difference is the 1 credit.