Retake the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tittat

Reaction score
Hi I am considering retaking my PCAT I need some advice. I took my PCAT yesterday and these are my preliminary percentiles:

Bio: 96
Chem: 99
Reading: 24
Quant: 97
Composite: 95

Obviously I am not a strong reader. When doing practice exams I was getting in the 70 percentile so I am shocked with how low the score is for this section but I am happy with my other scores. I am considering retaking, however, the composite score is still very good. Not sure if schools will let this low reading score decide whether to interview or not. Please let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am considering retaking my PCAT I need some advice. I took my PCAT yesterday and these are my preliminary percentiles:

Obviously I am not a strong reader. When doing practice exams I was getting in the 70 percentile so I am shocked with how low the score is for this section but I am happy with my other scores. I am considering retaking, however, the composite score is still very good. Not sure if schools will let this low reading score decide whether to interview or not. Please let me know your thoughts!
Hi how are you?
Your score looks super good. Congratulations!!! I don’t think that the reading score will affect you. Let me ask you something. What did you use to study? I’m using Dr. Collins 2018. Do you think is a good source?
Thank you.

Hi how are you?
Your score looks super good. Congratulations!!! I don’t think that the reading score will affect you. Let me ask you something. What did you use to study? I’m using Dr. Collins 2018. Do you think is a good source?
Thank you.

I used Dr. Collin's 2018 and I found it very helpful. My scores were:
Reading: 54
Comp: 98

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @tittat! I think your composite score looks great. Congratulations on such a strong performance on the PCAT. I'm sure 95% of the test takers wished they had your score. Schools put more emphasis on composite scores than individual sections so you're off to a great start. Good luck with the rest of your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @tittat! I think your composite score looks great. Congratulations on such a strong performance on the PCAT. I'm sure 95% of the test takers wished they had your score. Schools put more emphasis on composite scores than individual sections so you're off to a great start. Good luck with the rest of your application!
Thank you so much!

I got very similar scores to you. The reading section of the exam was definitely harder than most of the practice tests I took. I was debating on retaking it too but decided I’m going to use my 89 composite score to apply. I think showing schools you have a strong science score will outweigh the reading score. Great score by the way!

I used Dr. Collin's 2018 and I found it very helpful. My scores were:
Reading: 54
Comp: 98
Oh nice I have Dr. Collins 2018 too. How many hours did you study per day? Did you review the study guide first or you just did the practice tests right away. I have a month to study, my pcat is on September do you think I have time to study? What you recomend me? Thank you. :)

Oh nice I have Dr. Collins 2018 too. How many hours did you study per day? Did you review the study guide first or you just did the practice tests right away. I have a month to study, my pcat is on September do you think I have time to study? What you recomend me? Thank you. :)

I'd recommend studying the study guides first. Then jump into the practice tests. Do some biology/any subject's practice tests for two days and study the questions and the overall concepts were you go wrong. Then move on to another subject for two days. Id review the study guides at least once a week inbetween doing practice tests.

I'd recommend studying the study guides first. Then jump into the practice tests. Do some biology/any subject's practice tests for two days and study the questions and the overall concepts were you go wrong. Then move on to another subject for two days. Id review the study guides at least once a week inbetween doing practice tests.
Oh ok , I will do it like that. Thank you for your recomendations. :)

Oh ok , I will do it like that. Thank you for your recomendations. :)
Yes I used Dr.Collins! I am selling my old materials if you’re interested. First I went through all of the study guides, a couple sections of each subject a day until I was finished and I felt like I had a general grasp on each subject. Nothing prepares you better than doing practice exams though. I did each practice test and eventually started making it into full out PCATs that I would time myself with once every 2-3 days with reviewing in between. Anything I would get wrong I would make sure to figure it out and understand that question for the next exam. Dr.Collins definitely prepares you well for bio chem and math!

Yes I used Dr.Collins! I am selling my old materials if you’re interested. First I went through all of the study guides, a couple sections of each subject a day until I was finished and I felt like I had a general grasp on each subject. Nothing prepares you better than doing practice exams though. I did each practice test and eventually started making it into full out PCATs that I would time myself with once every 2-3 days with reviewing in between. Anything I would get wrong I would make sure to figure it out and understand that question for the next exam. Dr.Collins definitely prepares you well for bio chem and math!
Oh ok tittat, thank you very much for your advices and recommendations. Let me ask you something, Dr. Collins has a section which is the stand-alone-questions and says that it’s better if you master them. What do you think?

Oh ok tittat, thank you very much for your advices and recommendations. Let me ask you something, Dr. Collins has a section which is the stand-alone-questions and says that it’s better if you master them. What do you think?

Nothing prepares you better than the practice exams. The stand alone questions are just throughout the study guide packet to ensure you understand the concept you’re currently focused on. The practice exams are the most representative of the actual exam.

Nothing prepares you better than the practice exams. The stand alone questions are just throughout the study guide packet to ensure you understand the concept you’re currently focused on. The practice exams are the most representative of the actual exam.
Oh ok I got it. Thank you again. :)