Retake the MCAT or just apply again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calixd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I took the MCAT once last May, got a 509 (129/123/129/128).

I submitted my primary on July 3rd (mistake #1) and was not verified until August 8th. Submitted 26 secondaries, I was working a lot at the time and so only about 5 or so schools got them within a week or 2 of me receiving them (mistake #2). I was complete with every school by about the first week of October.

Ate rejections non-stop until I got 1 interview to a CA MD school, thought I killed it, my interviewer eventually even went into advertisement mode, but I got rejected a month later.

I am registered for the May 31st MCAT, do you think it is worth my time taking it in hopes that I get >127 in CARS? Or if I rectify all of my timing mistakes above & write a better PS and add my new experiences as well, do you think it will suffice?

Thanks SDN!

Other stats:
California, 25, male, white
socioeconomically disadvantaged (confirmed w/ many advisors that it was appropriate & necessary)
3.33 undergrad GPA @ a UC, neuroscience BS/bioinformatics minor
4.00 formal postbacc (avg GPA altogether is a ~3.6 now)
1000 hours emergency department scribe at big name school/hospital (if I reapply it will become 2000)
1750 hours professional academic tutoring (if I reapply it will become 2500)
1000 hours bench work research, no publications
400 hours emergency department volunteering
200 hours leadership in postbacc student group working to end mental health stigmas
other random experiences working part-time jobs over the years (cashier, courier)
(new) 200 hours volunteering @ youth homeless shelter
(new) 400 hours volunteer clinical research @ VA hospital. Publication in sight (hopefully)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should include DO schools in your next application. Which MD schools to apply to will depend on your new MCAT score. Post it here when available in June.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar position in either retaking (unbalanced 513 with a 125 in CP) or reapplying earlier this cycle. Your first step should be to ask for application feedback from schools that offer it. Applicants from last cycle made an sdn thread for schools that provide feedback here: Schools that provide application feedback?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar position in either retaking (unbalanced 513 with a 125 in CP) or reapplying earlier this cycle. Your first step should be to ask for application feedback from schools that offer it. Applicants from last cycle made an sdn thread for schools that provide feedback here: Schools that provide application feedback?

Thanks so much, just shot two emails, hoping for the best :whistle:

Got the same exact score basically :( - 128/123/130/128 (509). Is DO my only option at this point? @Faha @Goro

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools.
You should apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.