Retake question regarding materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arjusmc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short, I'm gearing up for a retake. I'm currently applying without much success. Yes, I know its early for DO(I applied both MD/DO), and I could be interviewed and accepted before the end of the cycle. However, to improve my application in case I need to reapply, I need to improve my MCAT. I have taken it once previously(1/18/2019) and scored a 504(126/124/127/127). I took 10 practice tests(AAMC and NS, as well as two TPR). My cars score really brought me down, considering I was getting 127/128 on the AAMC FL. I studied with the TPR self-paced online course, and I wasn't all that impressed. The books were good, and so were the questions in the books, but the whole online program seemed a little underwhelming. I've tentatively decided to self-study. After taking the MCAT, I also completed human anatomy, human physiology, sociology, physics 2, and genetics(I'm a nontrad, career changer so some of my courses are out of order compared to someone on a 4yr plan). I feel more prepared starting off this time with fewer knowledge deficits.

I have the following books
TPR complete set 3rd edition, but P/S and BIO are second. Biochem isn't stated so I assume it is the first edition.
EK physics(10th edition), reasoning skills(10th edition), 101 passages(no edition stated)
I will also repurchase the complete AAMC material set.
I am planning on using NS tests and AAMC FL. I am going to purchase test 5-10 from NS. I have not taken any of them. 1-4 and all AAMC test were used last time
I'm also planning on using uworld, I learn best by doing questions. Also, I did not use it last time.
I plan on using khan for supplemental videos instead of TPR

What should I use out of the materials I have? Should I supplement it with anything else? I am hoping to take it on March 27th but can push it later. I'm shooting for a 515 since I have more classes under my belt. If I end up with a similar score but a 127 on cars, then I'd be content. I plan on starting nov 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

Be sure to skim through the Khan Academy notes because people almost always find topics that they missed. They tend to be more minute details but it's still worth going over. Although doing practice is important, you'll probably get more use out of really trying to understand the material by going through whatever forms of review books you have. You have more than enough materials, but since you'll be reusing a lot of them, you might consider getting a couple new practice tests.

When you do a practice test, make sure you go through every single question, including the ones you got wrong. Think about your thought process leading you to correct answers as well as what went wrong leading to wrong answers.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
The short answer is that you need new passages and questions you have not seen before. Ideally, you should use materials with great answer explanations, because you will learn from your mistakes that way.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Be sure to skim through the Khan Academy notes because people almost always find topics that they missed. They tend to be more minute details but it's still worth going over. Although doing practice is important, you'll probably get more use out of really trying to understand the material by going through whatever forms of review books you have. You have more than enough materials, but since you'll be reusing a lot of them, you might consider getting a couple new practice tests.

When you do a practice test, make sure you go through every single question, including the ones you got wrong. Think about your thought process leading you to correct answers as well as what went wrong leading to wrong answers.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

The short answer is that you need new passages and questions you have not seen before. Ideally, you should use materials with great answer explanations, because you will learn from your mistakes that way.

Good luck!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN