Retake Pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall gpa is 3.72 with another year left of classes. However, my pre-req gpa is lower at around 3.31. This is mainly because I was a terrible student my freshman year. Is it worth my time to retake Principles of Chem II if I received a grade letter of a C? I know I could easily pull off at least a B or AB if I retake the course...but is it worth it? I also received a B in Gen. Psych...which I know I could get an A in if I retake it.

Is it worth retaking these classes before I graduate and apply or should I apply and see if I get accepted as is?

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake the classes you got a C in. Just check with the schools you are applying to if they'll allow it. Some schools have a cap on how many classes you can retake.

Both your gpa and pre-req gpa actually are really good! I don't think you should worry about the C/the classes you already took. I applied with a few C's on my transcript and everything turned out okay, and both of my gpas were lower than yours. If you really feel like you should take it over again, go for it. But I would just leave those classes alone and make sure other areas of my application were strong (GRE, volunteer hours, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks for giving me some personal advice to my specific situation. It's nice to get advice from peers instead of just advisers and professors.

I thought my other option would be to accept my grades for now and take the summer for observation hours and taking the GRE. Then begin applying during Fall semester and graduate from undergrad next spring. If I don't get into any of the schools I want, then maybe I should consider retaking a few classes that I didn't receive a B or higher on. Does that sound like a better plan?

University of North Dakota DPT program suggested I retake my chem class...even though I've went on and did very well on my upper chem class (organic, biochem). It was that first freshman semester that hurt me.

Your stats looks great, and I think considering your overall GPA is quite high I don't think that you are going to experience much trouble getting into PT school. Probably studying for the GRE would be a much better use of your time.

I had the same issue. I have a c in gen chem and asked my advisor should i retake it. she told me no and that it would be better to concentrate on the classe s that I had left. since you only have another year of classes i feel it would be pointless to retake the chem since I am assuming you would be applying in the fall and the chem would not even be on your transcript by then. well that is just my two cents.