This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redoctagon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here and this is my first post. Anyway, I need some advice, and it's a bit complicated but all advice is appreciated.

I'm a freshman pre-med at a T-20 University (I would share the name, but I see people avoid doing that) and I've been struggling a bit. I got a B in my first quarter of chem, and my second quarter hasn't come out yet, but will likely be a B-/C+. I took the accelerated chem sequence (terrible mistake, by the way- my background was not strong enough to be in this class but my advisor insisted that I take it and I listened), and struggled hard because my study habits haven't really been up to par. I also had to withdraw from Calc 3. I took two bio classes over the summer here and got an A and an A-, so those are sort of carrying my MCBP GPA.

Now here's the question: should I retake chem over the summer? I am nearly certain I can pull of A's in all 3 quarters of the sequence over the summer. I would be taking the regular sequence, not the accelerated one, so I'm seriously considering it. Would it be a good move? I would also have to drop my paid research project which I really don't want to do but I might have to do it.

Thanks in advance,
K

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake a B and B-! Retaking is for failing or very low (C-) grades. AMCAS averages retake with original rather than replacing, so you are really better off taking some upper level chem classes and doing well in them (and doing well in Ochem). You should absolutely do your paid research this summer.

I got a C in gen chem and did not retake, and it didn't seem to hurt me too much. Just be sure to do well in ochem/biochem and on the chem MCAT section

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here and this is my first post. Anyway, I need some advice, and it's a bit complicated but all advice is appreciated.

I'm a freshman pre-med at a T-20 University (I would share the name, but I see people avoid doing that) and I've been struggling a bit. I got a B in my first quarter of chem, and my second quarter hasn't come out yet, but will likely be a B-/C+. I took the accelerated chem sequence (terrible mistake, by the way- my background was not strong enough to be in this class but my advisor insisted that I take it and I listened), and struggled hard because my study habits haven't really been up to par. I also had to withdraw from Calc 3. I took two bio classes over the summer here and got an A and an A-, so those are sort of carrying my MCBP GPA.

Now here's the question: should I retake chem over the summer? I am nearly certain I can pull of A's in all 3 quarters of the sequence over the summer. I would be taking the regular sequence, not the accelerated one, so I'm seriously considering it. Would it be a good move? I would also have to drop my paid research project which I really don't want to do but I might have to do it.

Thanks in advance,
K

Don't retake. As others are already saying, just take your B's and take higher level courses later (and get As in them!)

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Anyway, I don't plan to retake if I get at least a B-, but a C+ seems to be pushing it imo. I just don't know if I should take the C when I would have gotten an easy A in the regular chem sequence (as opposed to the accelerated section), and I want to be able to demonstrate to med schools that I know my stuff. I should also point out that I live just a few miles from the school, and money is not a concern. Are you all still certain I should avoid retaking, even if I get a C?

One C won't do you in. You have plenty of time to show medical schools that you got your act together by excelling in future science courses. Don't pass up that great research opportunity!

Don't worry about it; schools will take it. Everyone struggles a bit. Just do your best and choose your classes more carefully from now on.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Anyway, I don't plan to retake if I get at least a B-, but a C+ seems to be pushing it imo. I just don't know if I should take the C when I would have gotten an easy A in the regular chem sequence (as opposed to the accelerated section), and I want to be able to demonstrate to med schools that I know my stuff. I should also point out that I live just a few miles from the school, and money is not a concern. Are you all still certain I should avoid retaking, even if I get a C?
Even a C is just not worth retaking. You still have ochem, biochem, the physical sciences on the MCAT and any upper level sciences you take to prove it was just a rocky start and not representative of your abilities. Doing something like research full time for summer builds your app much more than an intro chem retake will!

Don't retake, just focus on doing better going forward. It's just one C. Chill.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Even if you do retake the C and get an A, both grades will appear on your application and your grades would technically be averaged, so you'd only have a B in the long run. Plus it may look look you purposely retook the class in an easier sequence to pad your GPA. And then there's that what if...what if you retook and only got a B...or another C? Then what? Just take the C and move on.

Don't waste time retaking a class...instead focus on getting A's in the rest of your pre-req's and your upper level classes.