Resuming lung treatment after 8 week break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jezyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
81 year old female with 3cm peripheral lung mass. Original intent was for SBRT but treated with IMRT instead to 46.8Gy before being admitted for chronic hypoxic respiratory failure. The plan was to treat to 61.2Gy.

How would you resume treatment and to what dose?

Any input appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You were intending to do SBRT but someone else did 1.8 Gy/fraction? I'm not fully understanding. This was non small cell? Were they having chemo as well? 61.2 @ 1.8 without chemo likely is undertreatment, so what was the rationale for this? Maybe covering elective nodes too for whatever reason?

If she did get 46.8 Gy to just her primary tumor with an 8 week break now.....

I would re PET (or at minimum re CT chest), make sure no regional or distant progression...then re-CT sim and replan with an SBRT plan. Maybe do some BED calcs to try to get the BED (alpha beta 10) up above 100 from cumulative dosing.

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer here, but clearly 46.8 Gy is not enough dose. I would plan to re-irradiate with an SBRT type plan. I'd have to think about constraints, etc, but off the top of my head I'd think something like 30-40 Gy in 5 fractions would be reasonable.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to guess that it was too big to feel comfortable to 'safely' SBRT? But it's 3cm so I'm not exactly sure what lead to the decision to NOT do SBRT?

You certainly have to do more. It's obviously not ideal, but you could consider treating kind of like the experimental arm of RTOG 1106? Get repeat PET, do adaptive planning to maximize dose to MLD 20 (or pick your favorite)

Certainly would recommend BED > 100 to end up with an ablative dose.

I would also be very interested in knowing reason for pursuing 61.8Gy without chemo, but I understand if you don't want to elaborate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not enough info. I am assuming this is not a localized lung mass and she is receiving treatment for stage 2 or 3 NSCLC, and receiving RT to regional nodes as well? Otherwise why are you not doing SBRT for this?

Ultimately agree with general principles. Restage +/- PET if you can get it, but you have to acknowledge that data within the treatment field is tough to interpret.

If still localized disease to periphery of lung, do SBRT doses to achieve BED>100. If not, you're in a pickle and you could try retreatment with BED calculations, but it is likely any tumour repopulation that has occurred plus dose to normal structure will preclude a meaningful chance for cure. I can't speak from experience but I imagine it if the disease is truly stage 2/3 it is likely palliative regardless. Would be interested in hearing more about the situation and plan.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is indeed NSCLC and localized. The reason for not pursuing SBRT was that the patient is fragile, wheelchair bound, and set up prone (Prone setup because patient unable to raise arms supine during simulation so the only solution was to rest her hands under her head prone). Physics and Attending both came to a consensus that setup reproducibility was not amenable for SBRT treatment and we'd be more confident with extra margin.

We'll look into re-stage and re-pet and possibly do a little higher dose per fraction though not sure if we're comfortable enough with SBRT doses due to patient setup.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

It is indeed NSCLC and localized. The reason for not pursuing SBRT was that the patient is fragile, wheelchair bound, and set up prone (Prone setup because patient unable to raise arms supine during simulation so the only solution was to rest her hands under her head prone). Physics and Attending both came to a consensus that setup reproducibility was not amenable for SBRT treatment and we'd be more confident with extra margin.

As for the prescription, I don't know the reasoning why the attending decided on 61.2Gy so I cannot elaborate on that. Sorry.

We'll look into re-stage and re-pet and possibly do a little higher dose per fraction though not sure if we're comfortable enough with SBRT doses due to patient setup.
Could've done hypofractionation in that case, at least 2-2.5 Gy/day. 1.8/day doesn't make sense, esp without chemo

http://ascopubs.org/doi/pdf/10.1200/jco.2009.25.0753

Thanks for the feedback.

As for the prescription, I don't know the reasoning why the attending decided on 61.2Gy so I cannot elaborate on that. Sorry.

Any considerations to just leaving her supine, arms down, and blocking entry/exit through the arms? it would give you a slightly more hour glass dose distribution, but if you're going for anything more than palliation might be favorable.

I'm all for maximizing patient comfort but not to transition from a curative intent treatment to something that could be considered aggressive palliation. If she's frail enough that you're worried about the minimal lung toxicity from SBRT fractionation schemes, then maybe it's best to just stop at 45, as you may give her some amount of tumor control.

Agree with above - not sure I'd continue. For future reference, what our institution would do is SBRT with supine position, arms down and use them as avoidance structures. You can also treat prone without 4d CT and slightly larger margins. If that still doesn't work, you must hypofractionate to attain optimal tumour control. We use 60Gy/15 fractions which has very good tumour control when dosimetric constraints can't be met for 3, 5 or 8 fraction SBRT (Patrick Cheung's data; Phase II study of accelerated hypofractionated three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for stage T1-3 N0 M0 non-small cell lung cancer: NCIC CTG B... - PubMed - NCBI). Rarely have I seen conventional fractionation without chemo, the control rate is just so poor.

Last edited:
Agree with Mavrik. For early stage NSCLC not amenable to SBRT, I always treat with 3 Gy per fx to 45-60 Gy, depending on what I can achieve dosimetrically.

Incidentally there is a German Phase III trial (can find citation if interest) in older Red Journal issue. For Stage III/early IV NSCLC pts not amenable to chemo. 60/2 vs 32/2 (delivered bid in 8 days). No difference in all outcomes. If you are dealing with a non curable situation, the moral of the story is to maximize treatment efficiency for the patient.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Data was presented at astro last year supporting hypofractionation over 3 weeks in stage 2/3 lung patients with poor PS who can't get chemo

ASTRO 2016: Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy May Halve Treatment Time for Lung Cancer Patients With Poor Performance Status - The ASCO Post

4Gy x 15 is a bit much for me personally, I've done 45 Gy in 3 weeks and feel comfortable with that in the mediastinum

Doing this now on a patient with a large pleural effusion that we all know is malignant, poor kps but med onc wants to still give chemo. I've done this before on a few others both with and without chemo and had good responses. These are the patients where it could be either curative or most likely palliative intent.

Not totally related to this but somewhat close; had a guy with NSCLC adeno that had a ton of mediastinal, hilar, and supraclav disease when he was referred. Wasn't great functional status either and FEV was like 1. Anticipated field would have been quite large and he was started on chemo. After 3 cycles he has had a reasonably good response (and no mets) but still w hilar/mediastinal disease and some uptake in the supraclav but with less anatomically bulky nodes.

How do you deal with this situation? Med onc wants to continue chemo, would you add RT at this point for concurrent CRT? If you did add RT what would you cover (all initially involved stations?) and how would you dose them? Or would you continue chemo to achieve further response?

Not totally related to this but somewhat close; had a guy with NSCLC adeno that had a ton of mediastinal, hilar, and supraclav disease when he was referred. Wasn't great functional status either and FEV was like 1. Anticipated field would have been quite large and he was started on chemo. After 3 cycles he has had a reasonably good response (and no mets) but still w hilar/mediastinal disease and some uptake in the supraclav but with less anatomically bulky nodes.

How do you deal with this situation? Med onc wants to continue chemo, would you add RT at this point for concurrent CRT? If you did add RT what would you cover (all initially involved stations?) and how would you dose them? Or would you continue chemo to achieve further response?
If negative brain imaging, I'd try to offer xrt at this point,, at least do a sim and see if V20 and mean lung dose and heart dose is reasonable, if so,, would do concurrent if he can tolerate it.

If you don't feel he's in great shape for curative concurrent therapy, maybe put him on immunotherapy if his pd-l1 expression supports it

If negative brain imaging, I'd try to offer xrt at this point,, at least do a sim and see if V20 and mean lung dose and heart dose is reasonable, if so,, would do concurrent if he can tolerate it.

If you don't feel he's in great shape for curative concurrent therapy, maybe put him on immunotherapy if his pd-l1 expression supports it

thanks medgator. Just to clarify, If he is not in great shape for concurrent youd consider putting him on PD1 in addition to cytotoxic chemo and if he has further response then consolidate later? If you do consolidate later, say after 6 cycles chemo, would this have to be RT alone consolidation? Or can they still get concurrent? Thanks

Where was his primary? If it was lower lobe it might be difficult to treat that, even with IMRT. If it's upper lobe it's more reasonable.

What chemo did he get as induction? If he's gotten a fair amount of platinum already it might be hard to do concurrent carbo/taxol, but that's a discussion to have with the treating med onc.

Don't see any long-term benefit of doing RT alone if he still has N3 disease (assuming still PET positive). You could go 60 (or 66 or whatever your number for gross disease is) to the post-chemo volume, and then maybe 50, or even 60 to the pre-chemo volume. Not 100% confident off the top of my head about what to take pre-chemo volume but I'd consider doing something a tad bit lower than whatever your primary dose is.

What are you going for with continued chemo? If his functional status is poor you could treat him chemo alone like a palliative metastatic (I think this is what medgator was getting at in his post), but then I'd get the molecular testing/PD-L1 expression to get him off cytotoxic chemo as possible.
You could at least sim him at this point and see if you can meet constraints for your plan, while he continues chemo. Consolidation is a consideration (without chemo), but it's not a great area of high quality data to compare outcomes to one another.

thanks medgator. Just to clarify, If he is not in great shape for concurrent youd consider putting him on PD1 in addition to cytotoxic chemo and if he has further response then consolidate later? If you do consolidate later, say after 6 cycles chemo, would this have to be RT alone consolidation? Or can they still get concurrent? Thanks
I'd just leave him on the PDL1 or chemo alone, as evil said, I doubt RT alone is going to do much for N3 NSCLC. Best option would be to consolidate with concurrent chemo/XRT if plan allows and pt can tolerate it.

So we actually boost residual primaries in Stage III with SBRT to 650 cGy x 3 or 10 Gy x 2

Let's get pedantic and do some BED calculations with time correction. The time correction factor I'm using, found in Hall, roughly reduces to subtracting 0.5 times the total number of elapsed (tx and non-tx) days over a course of treatment. The time correction factor is only applicable for BED Gy-10 calculations. Someone mentioned the CALGB paper above. I trained with Turrisi. Back in the late 90s we were doing 80.5/35 for Stage I NSCLC with good results (Conformal high dose external radiation therapy, 80.5 Gy, alone for medically inoperable non-small cell lung cancer: a retrospective analysis. - PubMed - NCBI). Let's calc BED Gy-10 for 70/35, 80.5/35, and a popular SBRT schedule of 60 Gy/4 fx (over about 10 days). We are going to consider time correction because of the patient's long 8 week break.

BED Gy-10 = [70*(1+2/10)]-0.5*49 = 59.5
............... = [80.5*(1+2.3/10)]-0.5*49 = 74.5
............... = [60*(1+15/10)]-0.5*10 = 145

The BED Gy-10 for the patient, who had roughly 5 elapsed weeks (~26 fractions) or 35 elapsed days of treatment followed by an 8 week break for roughly 56+35=91 elapsed treatment days total:
............... = [46.8*(1+1.8/10)]-0.5*91 = 9.7

Clearly she lost a lot of BEDs with the break.

If you want to account for her previous dose and treat her to a 70 Gy/35 fraction equivalent which has a BED Gy-10 equivalent of 59.5 as I showed above, then (the [(D/2)*1.4] correction factor you see is accounting for the total number of elapsed days of the hypothetical regimen, e.g., if it were a 50 Gy dose where D=50, then the elapsed days would be [(50/2)*1.4]=35 days, or 50 Gy/25 fx over 5 weeks which is 35 days elapsed... 1.4 times the treatment fraction number always equals elapsed treatment days, on average):
59.5 - 9.7 = [D*(1+2/10)]-0.5*[(D/2)*1.4]
D = 58.5 Gy in 2 Gy fraction sizes
If you want to simplify, just round up to 60 Gy/30 fx.
That is to say, based on the 46.8 Gy she has received and an 8 week break afterward, you need to give her an additional 60 Gy/30 fx to get her to a 70 Gy/35 fx BED equivalent.

If you would like to get her to a 80.5 Gy/35 fx dose equivalent at 2.3 Gy fraction sizes,
74.5 - 9.7 = [D*(1+2/10)]-0.5*[(D/2)*1.4]
D = 76 Gy in 2 Gy fraction sizes
That is to say, based on the 46.8 Gy she has received and an 8 week break afterward, you need to give her an additional ~76 Gy/38 fx to get her to a 80.5 Gy/35 fx BED equivalent.

If you would like to get her to a 60 Gy/4 fx SBRT dose equivalent at 2 Gy fraction sizes,
145 - 9.7 = [D*(1+2/10)]-0.5*[(D/2)*1.4]
D = 159 Gy in 2 Gy fraction sizes
That is to say, based on the 46.8 Gy she has received and an 8 week break afterward, you need to give her an additional ~160 Gy/80 fx to get her to a 60 Gy/4 fx BED equivalent.

Finally, let's say you consider strongly hypofractionating e.g. to 5 Gy per fraction, the number of fractions (f) you'd need to give to approach a BED Gy-10 of 100 would be:
100-9.7 = [(f*5)*(1+5/10)]-0.5*f*1.4
f = 13 fractions of 5 Gy apiece
That is to say, based on the 46.8 Gy she has received and an 8 week break afterward, you need to give her an additional 13 fractions of 5 Gy apiece to get up past the 100 BED Gy-10 mark.

Perhaps something like an additional 60 Gy/30 fx would be most feasible, least horrifying, although doesn't really equate to the BEDs of the other regimens does it. At least it gets you 70/35 equivalent which we know works sometimes.

On the other hand, many would say this is a hopeless case and taking her to anything near these doses would be malpractice... but giving her anything much less than these doses would be fruitless and almost certainly result in 0% local control.

EDIT: you might worry about giving an additional 60 Gy/30 fx on top of the 46.8 Gy. This would worst case work out to a late effect BED Gy-3 of about 178. For an SBRT regimen of 60/4, the late effect BED is ~360, or ~100% more. So as long as the additional 60/30 is conformal-ish, late side effects of the additional dose would not be EXPECTED to be greater than an SBRT treatment in the same patient.

Last edited:
Agree with the above, not sure why you wouldn't hypofractionate a wheelchair bound frail old woman to begin with. This is a perfect example of why you do. This poor old lady already received 26 treatments (i.e. 5 weeks) and is only partially treated now, when she could have already been done 2 weeks prior. I wouldn't treat any further. If she progresses locally you can give her a brief course of additional palliative XRT at that time.