Resume/CV question about experience/volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soapdpt

Reaction score
For some schools on PTCAS or even for supplemental apps, they require a CV or resume. As I'm looking at my resume, I'm unsure of a few things.

1) Does the general 1-page rule apply to this? Like when applying to jobs, I've always been told to try and keep it to 1 page, especially since I'm on the entry-level/younger side.

2) I've worked AND volunteered for different PT experience. Should I just create a volunteer section in this case? I've done volunteering at two hospitals and had work in two clinics in addition to other work experience, so I'm debating if this calls for separation of the sections.

3) Since it's a PT school app would you list job experience you've had that only pertains to PT-related activity, or can/should I put jobs I've had throughout college to display that I've also worked through college (which I'm also placing slight emphasis on in my application).

Members don't see this ad.

For some schools on PTCAS or even for supplemental apps, they require a CV or resume. As I'm looking at my resume, I'm unsure of a few things.

1) Does the general 1-page rule apply to this? Like when applying to jobs, I've always been told to try and keep it to 1 page, especially since I'm on the entry-level/younger side.

2) I've worked AND volunteered for different PT experience. Should I just create a volunteer section in this case? I've done volunteering at two hospitals and had work in two clinics in addition to other work experience, so I'm debating if this calls for separation of the sections.

3) Since it's a PT school app would you list job experience you've had that only pertains to PT-related activity, or can/should I put jobs I've had throughout college to display that I've also worked through college (which I'm also placing slight emphasis on in my application).
1) No. Your CV should hopefully be more than 1 page. It is a list of everything academically relevant you have ever done.

2) Yes. Section it out by volunteer / work experience and any other categories.

3) You should put everything that you think would look to schools or show that you have work ethic. Having a job isn't usually something I would be ashamed of.

1) 1 page YES. If I am going through 800-1200 applications do you think I want to read a 3 page essay resume? or would that just irritate me and then I would toss it aside after 1 page thereby missing important information you would want me to know. You should be able to tell me the best most applicable things about you in 1 page.

2) YES

3) Dont include any job before college but yes

Members don't see this ad :)
1) 1 page YES. If I am going through 800-1200 applications do you think I want to read a 3 page essay resume? or would that just irritate me and then I would toss it aside after 1 page thereby missing important information you would want me to know. You should be able to tell me the best most applicable things about you in 1 page.

2) YES

3) Dont include any job before college but yes
Totally disagree. A resume is wayyyy different than a CV.

Reactions: 1 user
OP stated CV or resume, I would not give them excess information, they will only look at the first page most likely and you'll loose out in that regard if you spread relative information across 3 pages. You're entitled to you're opinion. I am unsure why you called me out just to disagree when the OP can decide themselves what advice to follow.

OP stated CV or resume, I would not give them excess information, they will only look at the first page most likely and you'll loose out in that regard if you spread relative information across 3 pages. You're entitled to you're opinion. I am unsure why you called me out just to disagree when the OP can decide themselves what advice to follow.

I also disagree with you. CV's are typically longer.

Because this isn't a job interview. This is PT school. I don't want OP to shortchange themselves. Resumes are not appropriate in the academic world.

Reactions: 1 user
Advice is purely experience based, this worked for me on getting into multiple schools.

I would suggest that you do two things, contact the schools directly and see which of the two they would prefer, and then adjust accordingly. Simply stated, If they want a resume, give them a professional, 1-page, resume. If they want a CV, give them a CV. On PTCAS, they usually will specify which, if any, of those two things they want as a part of your supplemental application.

A CV should be long. Mine is touching on three pages. I have done a lot in these last four years. It is a summary of you as a part of academia and that includes EVERYTHING you've done while in college. Not necessarily JUST to highlight the professional side of you. Again, this depends on whether they are asking for a CV or resume, but as a general rule of thumb, yes, section them off. And yes, include work experience.

I have also noticed that many schools will lay it out for you, just reach out and they are more than happy to provide you with the resources that you need to succeed. Here is a template for a CV for one of the schools I am applying to.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Sample-Curriculum-Vitae.pdf
    129.9 KB · Views: 80
I would call the school to ask what they would prefer. It couldn't hurt. Also, some schools just want a CV/Resume because they just want something to double check the application with to make sure everything checks out.

Yes, you should separate everything. I had this problem too and PTCAS told me to keep everything separate and to put as much detail as possible when entering.

Put everything you've ever done work/research wise. It shows you're well-rounded and you've picked from skills from outside the PT realm.