Results for third MCAT out today. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plantspants

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I've taken the MCAT three times now: 500 (122 CP, 125 CAR, 125 B, 128 PS), 501 (122 CP, 123 CAR, 128 B, 128 PS), and 502 (123 CP, 124 CAR, 129 B, 126 PS). I'm in a master's program now at a DO school, and will compete with a 3.5 GPA.

Before the third attempt, I took the three AAMC practice tests (504, 505, 508) with no section below a 125.

I'm considering taking it a fourth time because I know I can do better, but I need advice on where I stand now. Honest feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your current scores are fine for at least 15 DO schools that I know of. You could receive interviews at any of these schools with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
If you are applying this cycle you should apply soon and submit all your secondaries by late September.

LECOM? if you're okay with dresscode and mandatory lectures.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

So I've taken the MCAT three times now: 500 (122 CP, 125 CAR, 125 B, 128 PS), 501 (122 CP, 123 CAR, 128 B, 128 PS), and 502 (123 CP, 124 CAR, 129 B, 126 PS). I'm in a master's program now at a DO school, and will compete with a 3.5 GPA.

Before the third attempt, I took the three AAMC practice tests (504, 505, 508) with no section below a 125.

I'm considering taking it a fourth time because I know I can do better, but I need advice on where I stand now. Honest feedback is appreciated.
I can't sugar coat this:

You know you can do better??? Then why haven't you done better?

Knock off that attitude, because we Adcoms do NOT like perfectionists.

Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Your chances will be best with your MS DO school.

Do NOT retake the MCAT

Otherwise, apply broadly to DO. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 2 users
Your B/B score might save you; but I'm not sure what's going on with that C/P score.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly dude, I would just apply. I got the exact same score and still got interviews. Just make up for it by really putting in the effort to craft well-written personal statements. You have already demonstrated that you have a solid understanding of the biological sciences and for most med schools that will probably be good enough.

APPLY!!! your scores have improved each attempt, it’s not like they’ve gone down. Especially if you’ve got a wonderful app otherwise! I am an OMS1 and don’t have much higher of an MCAT and I got accepted to 5 schools last cycle, including an MD.

Bio and Psych/Soc really saved your ass.

Apply broadly and you'll be gucci.

Go for it and APPLY! I know it's difficult when we go on forums like these and compare ourselves to others but keep in mind this is such a small percentage of our "competition." It's a difficult process and you're going to keep seeking reassurance, but at the end of the day if you know you want to be a physician and you believe you possess the skills, then YOU GOT THIS! Just apply broadly like everyone else has said and be patient. Worst comes to worse, reapply, but you're not alone there either!

Just apply and see what happens. A lot of DO schools accept people this that MCAT score.
How did you do on practice exams before each time you took it?

Hello everyone,

Don’t. You’ve found your ‘place’ in the MCAT pile. Put your limited time/effort into other things that would be of more relative benefit. Good luck this cycle!

I just want to say I’ve been there (at the crucial decision to retake or proceed with your app). Everyone feels they can do better, but the the MCAT is just one of those things that even if you study harder and smarter, you just might not be able to do better because sure enough, everyone else taking the test also studied harder and smarter, keeping your score the same or making it even lower. Sure your scores are going up by a point, but that seems like more your limit at the moment, so you now risk going down if you take it again. All that could be spent improving your app in other ways (solid personal statement, volunteering), making yourself unique as an applicant and going for it. I’ve been there, and I decided taking the MCAT again is just not worth it unless you are trying to get into a crazy MD school that needs a high MCAT. Don’t take it again and apply now to DO schools. Now you can say based on your scores, you have a capacity for improvement. Schools like that, but will be an irrelevant statement if you go down even one point from your highest. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly OP the average mcat at "top" do schools like kcu and pcom is 505 and 503 respectively. You're right there. If the rest of your app is rounded (ecs and shadowing, all that stuff) I think you have a good shot.