Respectable MPH gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats considered a good GPA for an MPHer? Im interested in hearing from those who have already completed their MPH or are about to be done and applying to med school.

Im almost done with my MPH in Epi/Biostats and am interested in gauging my performance. Look forward to any replies!

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 3.6-ish from a Molec. Epid program (lotsa science)...and got my first Bs second term, second year. Something about skipping a week of school to go to Mardi Gras that a couple of professors didn't like...:laugh:

I agree. I think that anything over the equivalent of a 3.5 (UM runs on an 8.0 scale) is good, esp. for Epid. students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most people applying to MD programs who have an MPH will have over a 3.5 GPA in their MPH program.

An MPH GPA is hard to evaluate. If you hav a 3.8 in an MS program in physiology, adcoms probably know what that means. Not true with MPH programs IMO. You may have gotten B's in biostats 'cause you aren't all that great at math, yet you rock on applied biostats (epi) stuff. I think most med school adcoms are equally confused about how to interpret the MPH GPA - and of those that think they know how, they probably differ greatly. That's why I think it is so important for MPHers to be able to explain their strengths very well in interviews and essays.

Actually, it might also be good to see if/where alumni of the MPH program you're at enrolled into medical school. The school I got into had a number of graduates from the UMich SPH, so I think the admissions committee had some familiarity with our backgrounds... :)

thanx for the replies. I always wondered what GPA range the adcomms are looking for when looking at a student with a MPH. Im nailing mostly A's (3.8+ gpa) so i guess im in good shape..:)

DOCTORSAIB

Originally posted by Finally M3
Actually, it might also be good to see if/where alumni of the MPH program you're at enrolled into medical school.

Two of my clinical professors were actually in my MPH program with me. Certainly didn't hurt. :) It is a bit funny, though, to be the student of people I had classes with & occasionally studied outside of class with.

MPH GPA of 3.5 (rrrrrrrr biostats :mad: ) and accepted at PCOM and NYCOM so far...

Actually I didnt do that great in my MPH program. 3.7 in infectious diseases. I'd have to say its a little harder than say.. health policy and management or maternal and child health. Yeah, its hard for adcomms to interpret MPH GPAs since there are so many different concentrations. How do you compare Epidemiologly/Biostatistics to Public Health Nutrition??

Id say aim for higher than a 3.5 though.