Resolved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocAfri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resolved

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you will match! I would say apply this cycle. Having 6 pubs in any field is very impressive. Plus, you have a solid step 1 score and are coming from prestigious institutions. You're actively doing ophthalmology research now (you have a first author optho pub in review - that's awesome), so that's a plus too. I would say work on trying to pindown that second person for an ophthalmology letter (and then the third from an attending from a core rotation - typically IM or surgery, but honestly whoever will write you the best letter would be great). Plus, if you don't value research long term, doing a whole research year will be rough. I'd say go for it. I have confidence you'll land at a solid program with the basic stats you shared.

What did the webinar say that made you discouraged? Ophthalmology is obviously competitive, but I still think your application would stand out.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

First gen af am applicant. was fairly set on applying to Ophtho this cycle, however shaken confidence after a webinar. Specifically, I only have one Ophtho letter and no current Ophtho publications. A good amount of publications (6) in other fields, submittted first author manuscript, and currently working on two Ophtho projects in early stages. Extensive volunteer work centered on health justice and education. In all honesty I don’t value research over clinical care and simply want to be a great comprehensive ophthalmologist serving poor communities.

Top 15 undergrad
Top 10 MD
Step 1: 250

Should I do a research year with someone in ophtho for more pubs and a letter? Anything else? Would really appreciate any advice at all. Thanks in advance
Hello all,

First gen af am applicant. was fairly set on applying to Ophtho this cycle, however shaken confidence after a webinar. Specifically, I only have one Ophtho letter and no current Ophtho publications. A good amount of publications (6) in other fields, submittted first author manuscript, and currently working on two Ophtho projects in early stages. Extensive volunteer work centered on health justice and education. In all honesty I don’t value research over clinical care and simply want to be a great comprehensive ophthalmologist serving poor communities.

Top 15 undergrad
Top 10 MD
Step 1: 250

Should I do a research year with someone in ophtho for more pubs and a letter? Anything else? Would really appreciate any advice at all. Thanks in advance
You’ll match without a research year. I would not waste your time taking a year off.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will match! I would say apply this cycle. Having 6 pubs in any field is very impressive. Plus, you have a solid step 1 score and are coming from prestigious institutions. You're actively doing ophthalmology research now (you have a first author optho pub in review - that's awesome), so that's a plus too. I would say work on trying to pindown that second person for an ophthalmology letter (and then the third from an attending from a core rotation - typically IM or surgery, but honestly whoever will write you the best letter would be great). Plus, if you don't value research long term, doing a whole research year will be rough. I'd say go for it. I have confidence you'll land at a solid program with the basic stats you shared.

What did the webinar say that made you discouraged? Ophthalmology is obviously competitive, but I still think your application would stand out.
You’ll match without a research year. I would not waste your time taking a year off.
I sincerely appreciate your responses.

Last edited: