Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnal Doc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resolved Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
also look into LECOM's early acceptance dental program! They have a very high acceptance rate and you can get into the program during your freshmen year of college, as long as you go to an affiliated under grad school

Well now you can be a normal pre-dent student, enjoy college, and apply after you are done with pre-reqs.
The best college to attend is the cheapest 4 year college. The most important thing in college classes will be keeping your GPA as high as possible and doing well on your DAT. Then go to the cheapest dental school.

Going to NYU is financial suicide.
imo go to Stony

Members don't see this ad :)
Well now you can be a normal pre-dent student, enjoy college, and apply after you are done with pre-reqs.
The best college to attend is the cheapest 4 year college. The most important thing in college classes will be keeping your GPA as high as possible and doing well on your DAT. Then go to the cheapest dental school.

Going to NYU is financial suicide.
imo go to Stony
Well, I still have the ever so slight chance of applying and I would really like to show the college and the dental school that I am more than capable of switching myself and powering through academia.

also look into LECOM's early acceptance dental program! They have a very high acceptance rate and you can get into the program during your freshmen year of college, as long as you go to an affiliated under grad school
Not sure if I fully understand, but they only offer a 4+4? Are you saying that I could get a guaranteed acceptance into their dental school during my Freshman year? Also, it doesn't appear that any of my colleges are listed :(

Not sure if I fully understand, but they only offer a 4+4? Are you saying that I could get a guaranteed acceptance into their dental school during my Freshman year? Also, it doesn't appear that any of my colleges are listed :(

yes they only offer a 4+4 program and they save you a seat if you are accepted (as long as you fill the pre-reqs). yeah the program has to be done at an affiliated college! you should reach out to lecom though, im sure they can answer any of your questions

Moved to hSDN.
I was accepted as an undergrad to NSU, Temple, and Stony Brook. NSU and Stony are giving me the most amount of money.

What would be my best option as for a college to attend for my freshman undergrad year?
I would pick your cheapest option because you can get into dental school from any undergrad. Try to have as little undergrad debt as possible, and work hard in undergrad so that you'll have great (and hopefully "cheap") options after you've applied for dental school. While it sucks that you didn't get into any accelerated dental programs, it's not the end of the world and now you have the option of getting into different dental schools & be able to find out which one you'll be happiest at, instead of being tied to only one school in an accelerated program.

Nonetheless, you can go to any dental school from any undergrad, so choose your cheapest option! Dental school will put you in debt, and you don't want to have tons of undergrad loans too!

Moved to hSDN.

I would pick your cheapest option because you can get into dental school from any undergrad. Try to have as little undergrad debt as possible, and work hard in undergrad so that you'll have great (and hopefully "cheap") options after you've applied for dental school. While it sucks that you didn't get into any accelerated dental programs, it's not the end of the world and now you have the options of getting into different dental schools & be able to find out which one you'll be happiest at, instead of being tied to only one school in an accelerated program.

Nonetheless, you can go to any dental school from any undergrad, so choose your cheapest option! Dental school will put you in debt, and you don't want to have tons of undergrad loans too!
I see, thanks for the reply. So, just to be clear, the institution or ranking of your undergrad doesn’t matter whatsoever?

I see, thanks for the reply. So, just to be clear, the institution or ranking of your undergrad doesn’t matter whatsoever?
Nope. Not at all, whatsoever. What matters are your GPA & your DAT score. If you were to get a high GPA but an average DAT score, then it means your undergrad inflated their grades (it was easy for people to get As), but that's a topic for another time.... Just focus on doing well and keeping your GPA high while also being well-rounded with your ECs! Good luck :)

Nope. Not at all, whatsoever. What matters are your GPA & your DAT score. If you were to get a high GPA but an average DAT score, then it means your undergrad inflated their grades (it was easy for people to get As), but that's a topic for another time.... Just focus on doing well and keeping your GPA high while also being well-rounded with your ECs! Good luck :)
Gotcha, and I'd like to get started on building up my base for Bio and Chem. Could you suggest me some study materials to help me prep? I'd like to become the best I can! Thank you by the way, I really do appreciate it :)

Gotcha, and I'd like to get started on building up my base for Bio and Chem. Could you suggest me some study materials to help me prep? I'd like to become the best I can! Thank you by the way, I really do appreciate it :)
Imo, there's really no use studying those subjects now. It's hard to learn all that material on your own, and it'll all just be repeated anyways when you take upper divs. Just take really good notes when you take those beginning year-long classes, and you should be good on the DAT.

Imo, there's really no use studying those subjects now. It's hard to learn all that material on your own, and it'll all just be repeated anyways when you take upper divs. Just take really good notes when you take those beginning year-long classes, and you should be good on the DAT.
Oh really? Is that in part because it’s hard to grasp everything by yourself? Also, in retrospect, could you suggest any study books that would’ve helped at the start during your year long courses?

Oh really? Is that in part because it’s hard to grasp everything by yourself? Also, in retrospect, could you suggest any study books that would’ve helped at the start during your year long courses?
I don't think any study books would help besides the textbooks your professors will assign to your class. Trust me. The best thing you could have done (not sure if you have) would be to take AP Courses because those help show you how college will be like, but you're already a senior. Don't jump the gun too much and just focus on classes when you're taking them. Pre-studying doesn't really help, not for undergrad, for the DAT, or for dental school.

I didn't have a hard time with those classes at all (graduated 3.88o, 3.99s GPA) so study books would've been a waste for me personally, but those types of classes are known to be "weeder" classes so you just need to keep on top of your stuff and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think any study books would help besides the textbooks your professors will assign to your class. Trust me. The best thing you could have done (not sure if you have) would be to take AP Courses because those help show you how college will be like, but you're already a senior. Don't jump the gun too much and just focus on classes when you're taking them. Pre-studying doesn't really help, not for undergrad, for the DAT, or for dental school.

I didn't have a hard time with those classes at all (graduated 3.88o, 3.99s GPA) so study books would've been a waste for me personally, but those types of classes are known to be "weeder" classes so you just need to keep on top of your stuff and you'll be fine.
Oh okay, I did take around 9 AP classes and received a majority of 4s and 5s. I also took some courses, Anatomy and Physiology and Environmental Science at the University of Washington and had a 3.7 and a 3.8 GPA, respectively. However, I'm a bit afraid as that information was more or less transient and I can't really recall any of that as well I used to.

Oh okay, I did take around 9 AP classes and received a majority of 4s and 5s. I also took some courses, Anatomy and Physiology and Environmental Science at the University of Washington and had a 3.7 and a 3.8 GPA, respectively. However, I'm a bit afraid as that information was more or less transient and I can't really recall any of that as well I used to.
You're fine then. You'll relearn it in your General Bio/Chem courses and it'll be cemented in your upper divs.

Status
Not open for further replies.