Residents bailing out of GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jewishprincess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be forewarned. Allegedly, GWU residents are bailing, According to another thread, 3 of 4 PGY-1's in the path department left in June. The reason is not known, but perhaps was due to concerns about the school and its clinical departments losing ACGME accreditation. GWU is in a bad way, having only just come off of CGME probation.

If what happened when a med school in Puerto Rico lost its accreditation is any indication, better to get out of GW before you have to scramble for a new resident position with everybody else at George Washington.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would they really shut down all residency programs? Aren't they evaluated separately? I'd think if one program was having a problem that particular program would be put on probation, not all programs. This seems a bit strange to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a school loses LCME accreditation, apparently, it is also all over for any associated residency programs. Further, such loss of accreditation can be sudden and without any explaination. For an example, see: http://newsismybusiness.com/caguas-medical-school-loses-accreditation-mulls-suing/ Makes the blood run cold.

The LCME is getting tough. GWU was the first school in 15 years to be put on accreditation probation. Now, they just take away accreditation. My guess is that next time, the LCME will just rescind George Washington's accreditation and not bother with probation. With Cuagas, they didn't even bother to wait until the end of the semester. Students, residents, etc., were just SOL.

As with Cuagas medical school, the basic problem involves GW's associated hospitals, who have GW over a barrel. If (say) GW Hospital or Innova Fairfax decide to dump GW, then it is all over. OTOH, if GW sucks up to the hospitals too much, they can lose accreditation for that too. Which is why they fired the two top administrators, per the Washington post. A horrible bind for the school. But worse for anyone who trains there.

If a school loses LCME accreditation, apparently, it is also all over for any associated residency programs. Further, such loss of accreditation can be sudden and without any explaination. For an example, see: http://newsismybusiness.com/caguas-medical-school-loses-accreditation-mulls-suing/ Makes the blood run cold.

The LCME is getting tough. GWU was the first school in 15 years to be put on accreditation probation. Now, they just take away accreditation. My guess is that next time, the LCME will just rescind George Washington's accreditation and not bother with probation. With Cuagas, they didn't even bother to wait until the end of the semester. Students, residents, etc., were just SOL.

As with Cuagas medical school, the basic problem involves GW's associated hospitals, who have GW over a barrel. If (say) GW Hospital or Innova Fairfax decide to dump GW, then it is all over. OTOH, if GW sucks up to the hospitals too much, they can lose accreditation for that too. Which is why they fired the two top administrators, per the Washington post. A horrible bind for the school. But worse for anyone who trains there.

why did you join this forum last month to just rail against GW in the EM and path forums?

why did you join this forum last month to just rail against GW in the EM and path forums?

Since you asked--- Actually, it is more like piling on. Out of curiousity, I googled here, where I saw others taking GWU to task and could not resist adding my $.02 worth. Maybe save somebody some grief.

GW seems to be the most throughly-despised place on these pages. Just perhaps, there is a reason for this. Never saw a place get such a visceral reaction. Most people are at worst neutral about where they trained.

How do you think they managed to get on probation? --- first school in 15 years and one of the few ever. Even its sometime defenders advise people to sheer away. If you have objections to the matters I bring up, address these, if you can. All well-documented.