Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bronte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between doing an allopathic residency and an osteopathic residency in a specialty field? Is the osteopathic residency easier to get in to? Can one apply for both? I am not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are?

Members don't see this ad.

DO residencies tend to be MUCH easier to get into... especially if you look at the # of applicants for each spot. For EM this year (where I matched MD), there were 600-800 applicants for every residency... and they interviewed about 10 people per 1 residency slot.

At the DO hospital I did my cores at, there were 20 OGME-1 spots, and they interviewed MAYBE 35-40.

You can apply for both, but can only be accepted to one.

IMHO, the MD residencies have *generally* better training, see much more pathology, and are at bigger institutions (for EM, the ED visit #s are drastically different from MD and DO residencies, I interviewed at some MD EM residencies that had 120k visits a year, where so DO EM residencies only had 10k-15k visits a year).

You cannot learen EM only seeing 5 patients a day.

Q, DO

Thanks Quinn!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Quinn, mostly, but know there are some quality D.O residency slots out there. Speaking of EM, nycom's St. Barnabus program is pretty competitive and that hospital is like the 4th busiest trauma center in the entire city of NY. Hence, like each school is different, each program is different as well.

The mere stats above done tell the whole story, either, for remember there are many more applicants to MD programs, mainly b/c there's alot more students in MD-land, hence competition is fierce for the "power programs", but other MD specialties and locations arent as hard to obtain.

Quinn... where are you doing your internship? Being in FL and all, did you sneek around that somehow?

Is it true that if you attempt both matches (as a D.O.) and you match at an osteopathic program, you are required to accept that position over the allopathic slot?

yes, as I understand it...
if you match into an osteopathic program (which has an earlier match), you are then dropped from the allopathic match.