Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yodaman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who may know,
what are the residency hours for derm? I wouldn't think they would go as long as the "80-hour" limit, but I'm not sure. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hands down, it is the best residency in the world.

(At least at the away rotation I'm currently on: small program in the Midwest. Things could be different at high powered academic institutions)

7/8 to 9 AM = didactics (not a daily thing)
9-5PM = clinic (with an hour for lunch)

Call is taken at home. Lots of phone calls but very rarely a need to head to the ER/hospital.

Bad side: A ton of reading. The sheer volume that the residents go through daily is enough to make me vomit. This is tested via brutal pimping sessions during the didactics sessions and of course, by the demoralizing board exam at the end of residency.

I recently rotated through 2 major universities, one in the Midwest and one on the West Coast. You pretty much nailed it...

If there is a ton of teaching going on then the outpatient clinic may go over until 6 or 7pm some evenings.

Other than that, the 7am to 5pm rotating with an 8am to 5pm schedule is what I was doing.

I am not sure the amount of reading is any more than for other fields. However, the books tend to be two volumes of large proportions. See Fitzpatrick's and Bolognia. Andrew's is a reasonable size, I gather.

For the student, the Fitzpatrick "RED ATLAS" is the must. The rest is nice to have, imo... Just thought I'd throw that out there.