Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliftonjr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what residency programs or states would accept a new resident who has not passed NBPME Part I and/or Part II?

Note:(This information is not available on the CASPR/CRIP website)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what residency programs or states would accept a new resident who has not passed NBPME Part I and/or Part II?

I can tell you that none of the residency programs in Pennsylvania will be able to accept anyone that has not passed NBPME Part I and II since the incoming resident must be able to pass the PMLexis (NBPME Part III) exam prior to starting the residency training. In order for one to take PMLexis in PA, one would need to pass both NBPME Part I and Part II exams. A PMLexis passing grade is needed to obtain a license in PA for residency training. The only exception in PA would be the VA programs. In the VA programs, which is govern by the Federal Government, one must be able to sit for and pass the PMLexis before the start of the 2nd year residency training in PA.

If there are programs that you are interested in, I would recommend you contacting those specific programs for details about the NBPME board exam requirements. When you apply for residency programs in the fourth year, information about passing the NBPME Part I board will be automatically included in your CASPR application file that is being sent to each of the residency program that you apply to.

I am pretty sure that no residency program will.

those programs might be out there but they do not advertise that they accept those students.

I know someone in Florida that is a 1st year resident that has not past part I yet. I am not sure about part II status.

So it might happen but the program is not going to tell anyone or advertise that fact.