Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that a guy with an MD/PhD from a non top 50 school who didn?t rank that well, around average, but had 3 publications, 2 1st author, and presented a couple of times, will be competitive when applying to academic residency programs like radiology or neurosurgery.
I just want to be know realistically what kind of options I will be having in the future and so far I am getting mixed input, so I thought it will be best to ask MD/PhD students this questions since they are in a similar situation I am in now. And from what I am hearing so far, I should forget about the competitive residency programs if I am not at least in the top 25th percentile of my class, but that?s if you?re only getting an MD.

Members don't see this ad.

how about class rank, is that important too?

Members don't see this ad :)
not really, if anything it is more related to the heart. It's more basic science research then clinical, PCRs, gels, and that kind of stuff, and I didn't even start it yet, it's something I am going to do in the future.
I know this was a stupid question (I was assuming I'll be able to do the same thing this other guy in that same lab did when he got his PhD), I just want to know if getting a PhD will help me when I apply for residency regardless of what my class rank will be. Also assuming I get a 230+ on the boards, lots of assumptions here I know.
And no I am not going to get a PhD just because it will look good on resume, I actually like research, I've been involved in research projects for 3 years now and I love doing it.