Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrisI

Reaction score
Hello! Do you think I could choose ophthalmology if I only like the medical part of it, not the surgical part? I found on the internet that ophthalmology is going very well even if you decide to focus only on the medical side, but I would like to find out more details about this aspect.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Do you think I could choose ophthalmology if I only like the medical part of it, not the surgical part? I found on the internet that ophthalmology is going very well even if you decide to focus only on the medical side, but I would like to find out more details about this aspect.
Well, the challenge is that you need to be procedurally competent to graduate from residency. You can always choose a nonsurgical specialty like neuro-ophthalmology or uveitis afterwards. Bear in mind that choosing a nonsurgical field in ophthalmology will decrease your compensation as well. We are a field with a lot of procedures that need to be mastered initially, so if you don’t like procedures, residency might be kind of rough.

Well, the challenge is that you need to be procedurally competent to graduate from residency. You can always choose a nonsurgical specialty like neuro-ophthalmology or uveitis afterwards. Bear in mind that choosing a nonsurgical field in ophthalmology will decrease your compensation as well. We are a field with a lot of procedures that need to be mastered initially, so if you don’t like procedures, residency might be kind of rough.

Thank you for your answer!

I have read some articles on the internet that say: ophthalmology gives you the chance to be a good clinician, a good surgeon or both. I also read that the number of patients with medical conditions is quite high and you will certainly have many patients even if you decide to focus just on the medical side. Honestly, it’s strange to choose a surgical specialty if you don't want to do surgery in the future. That’s why I wanted to ask for more opinions. Thank you again!