Residency transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted432645

Currently a PGY1 at a community hospital and I am very happy with program. However, I want to transfer to another community program as PGY2 next year in order to be closer to my family. Contacted the program coordinator at another hospital and was told that there is a spot. I spoke to my current PD and is very supportive. I turned in my application (ERAS, MSPE, etc) and waiting to hear from the program. Can someone tell me how the process works of transferring to another program as a PGY2? What do PDs look for in order to be at least considered for the position. US FMG here and had a terrible step 1 score ( 2 points below their requirement ) and worried that they may not even consider my application. The program does have a mix of FMG/USMD...

Members don't see this ad.

This is going to sound rude, but it's not meant to be.

It really doesn't matter what anybody here thinks the PD will want, or honestly, what the PD him/herself wants. Your CV is what it is. There is nothing you can do at this point other than have a great interview (if offered) with the PD and other program staff, and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently a PGY1 at a community hospital and I am very happy with program. However, I want to transfer to another community program as PGY2 next year in order to be closer to my family. Contacted the program coordinator at another hospital and was told that there is a spot. I spoke to my current PD and is very supportive. I turned in my application (ERAS, MSPE, etc) and waiting to hear from the program. Can someone tell me how the process works of transferring to another program as a PGY2? What do PDs look for in order to be at least considered for the position. US FMG here and had a terrible step 1 score ( 2 points below their requirement ) and worried that they may not even consider my application. The program does have a mix of FMG/USMD...
have you gotten an interview for the spot from said program? If so, then do your best at the interview and rank them...if no interview, have you called the program to see what is the status of your application? Frankly, its close to the endo of the interview season...if no interview by now, then not very likely you are getting one, but you should check with them.
you do need to make sure that you will be able to keep your current spot.

It's possible they won't consider your application, but there's just no way to be sure. As others have said you can check in with the program to see the status of your application, but whatever you do don't burn bridges at your current program--chances are that you'll wind up needing to stay there.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like its out of match spot. I did out of match from Pgy-1 to Pgy-2 last year. Currently a pgy-2. You need to be constantly looking for spots. Nothing is guaranteed. When I applied, I got 3 interviews and only 1 offer. Most of these interviews happened in Feb to April so you got time. Around this time, people get non-renewed from their contract so spots start opening up. With these programs, you should hear relatively quick for a interview offer. I swear one program the same day I sent my application, they interviewed me over skype. Literally a 3 hour difference from submission of my application by email to interview. If they haven't responded, keep reaching out to other programs. And don't burn the bridge to your current one. Believe me, its easy to replace you.

Have you reached out to the PD of the other program directly?

As a FMG with a low Step I who is succeeding in your current program, this is quite a gamble. You’ll go to an unfamiliar system and have to function as a R2. You’ll be the new guy and will have to prove yourself. If it doesn’t work out, you might never get back in.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't reached out directly to the PD. I've been in contact with the program coordinator.
You should contact the PD directly to explain your situation. It would be even better if you PD could reach out as well and vouch for you.

As a FMG with a low Step I who is succeeding in your current program, this is quite a gamble. You’ll go to an unfamiliar system and have to function as a R2. You’ll be the new guy and will have to prove yourself. If it doesn’t work out, you might never get back in.
While I wouldn't be paralyzed worrying about this, it's not an inconsequential concern. I think there's a recent thread with this exact scenario where someone transferred between R1 and R2 due to "family issues," then was found to not be functioning at R2 level, was bumped back to R1 and is now on probation fighting for his/her career.

Personally if you've managed to match to a program and they like you and you seem on track to graduate, give some serious thought to just sucking it up for 2 years and THEN moving home.

Reactions: 4 users

This. Someone posted this scenario recently. If I was a FMG I would stick to your program. The Match I'm sure has gotten far more competitive, with more applicants, more DOs in the match, and it's a massive blessing for a FMG to match. Why risk that for only a few years? It's not your life. If OP did 1 year, FM is only 2 more. Is it worth risking potentially having nothing? If OP was an AMG I don't think it would be that big of a concern. But I would be cautious here.

Just an update. I ended up getting an interview and was accepted. The biggest factor is my PDs support. I'm transferring to a similar community/university affiliated hospital that's very similar to my current hospital so the transition would be smoother. Anyone who is interested in knowing more about the process can PM me..

Just an update. I ended up getting an interview and was accepted. The biggest factor is my PDs support. I'm transferring to a similar community/university affiliated hospital that's very similar to my current hospital so the transition would be smoother. Anyone who is interested in knowing more about the process can PM me..
Thanks for the update and congratulations.

OP congrats!
This. Someone posted this scenario recently. If I was a FMG I would stick to your program. The Match I'm sure has gotten far more competitive, with more applicants, more DOs in the match, and it's a massive blessing for a FMG to match. Why risk that for only a few years? It's not your life. If OP did 1 year, FM is only 2 more. Is it worth risking potentially having nothing? If OP was an AMG I don't think it would be that big of a concern. But I would be cautious here.
It hasn't become more competitive for IMGs. The increase in AMGs (USMD + DO) has basically equalled the increase in residency positions over the past 10 years. ~7,000 IMGs have started residency each year since 2008, ranging from 6,693 in 2013 to 7,218 in 2016.

Maybe at some point there will be a squeeze on IMGs entering residency, but it hasn't happened yet.
ACGME Data Resource Book