Residency Time Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorfish

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which residencies require the least hours a week?

Members don't see this ad.

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 users
It even varies between specialties. For me.. it even varies between rotations.

avoid IM, anything surgical

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych residents here are typically under 60.

Psych residents here are typically under 60.
Depends on the program and rotation. I’m at a chiller program and 1st and 2nd year I probably averaged ~60-70hrs/week. I’ve had weeks where I definitely violated the 80hr rule. 3rd year has easily been 40 hours per week.

Radiology, dermatology, pathology

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
While actual work hours may be more generous, all those fields require a fair amount of outside reading and studying during residency.
True. But you're really not going to find a residency that has low in-hospital time and low outside reading. Radiology is typically about 45-50 hours a week and good residents will typically do 1-2 hours of outside reading a day, which altogether is still going to be less than in-hospital time for most IM and surgical residencies.

Is there a specific reason you're asking about total hours? For example, are you using total hours as a proxy for something else like amount of night call, longest shifts, predictability of schedule, etc. (Which can be concerns for legitimate reasons.)

Reactions: 1 user