Residency spots in USA for Canadian grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

analyst123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I guess this question has been asked here before ?

1. Are Canadian really not considered US grad since they fill out the same USMLE application (as opposed to ECFMG). Is there something within the application which separates them ?

2. How do we know the # of Canadian medical school grads in US programs (i.e. all the same metrics used by NRMP i.e. program, school, speciality etc ? )

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I guess this question has been asked here before ?

1. Are Canadian really not considered US grad since they fill out the same USMLE application (as opposed to ECFMG). Is there something within the application which separates them ?

2. How do we know the # of Canadian medical school grads in US programs (i.e. all the same metrics used by NRMP i.e. program, school, speciality etc ? )

1. You would be an independent applicant yes, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. You'd just have to contact some of the programs directly, and then they'd know you're interested etc and not an IMG. You would still have the issue of needing a visa, so the J1 or H1b. So take a look at health Canada for the Statement of Needs for the j1. If you're going for a competitive specialty, you're going to want to absolutely crush boards and get american electives...and contacts. That will make it much more likely to get the H1B visa (you'll need to take step 3, hopefully the timeline for your graduation lines up...or you may have to sit out a year first). A Canadian MD would definitely be more appealing (to a program that cares where you went to school), than IMG programs. Canadian MD are accredited by the LCME, just like USMD programs.

2. This is found directly on the NRMP data website, you can find the total number of Canadian MD applicants and amount matched. If you go to the match list itself, that lists each and every program - you can figure it out by looking at the line item "CAN", which refers specifically to Canadian MD graduates. Canadians at IMG programs in carrib/ireland/australia etc would be lumped in with "IMG" so much less useful of a metric.

The 2015 Match list is here for example:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-by-State-and-Specialty-2015.pdf

I think the 2016 data should be available in a few months? Not sure.

1. You would be an independent applicant yes, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. You'd just have to contact some of the programs directly, and then they'd know you're interested etc and not an IMG. You would still have the issue of needing a visa, so the J1 or H1b. So take a look at health Canada for the Statement of Needs for the j1. If you're going for a competitive specialty, you're going to want to absolutely crush boards and get american electives...and contacts. That will make it much more likely to get the H1B visa (you'll need to take step 3, hopefully the timeline for your graduation lines up...or you may have to sit out a year first). A Canadian MD would definitely be more appealing (to a program that cares where you went to school), than IMG programs. Canadian MD are accredited by the LCME, just like USMD programs.

2. This is found directly on the NRMP data website, you can find the total number of Canadian MD applicants and amount matched. If you go to the match list itself, that lists each and every program - you can figure it out by looking at the line item "CAN", which refers specifically to Canadian MD graduates. Canadians at IMG programs in carrib/ireland/australia etc would be lumped in with "IMG" so much less useful of a metric.

The 2015 Match list is here for example:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-by-State-and-Specialty-2015.pdf

I think the 2016 data should be available in a few months? Not sure.

What do people do in this 1 year if they end up having to sit out to get USMLE Step3? Start a canadian residency? extend electives through their med school? trying to figure out a way I can do my MD in Canada and residency in the US. (see this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...r-md-residency-options-down-the-road.1198577/)