Residency & Specializing & Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agrrrr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult to establish residency once you've been accepted into a state school? I heard that it was practically impossible in Maryland, is this true?

Do most students know if they're going to specialize when applying for admission? If they don't, do they say they do in their interviews?

In general, how much of the study body has been filled by dec 1st? I've been reading for some schools that they've sent out enough acceptances to fill up a class, while others are saying only half the seats have been filled... Would this be an accurate assessment?

Members don't see this ad.

agrrrr said:
Is it difficult to establish residency once you've been accepted into a state school? I heard that it was practically impossible in Maryland, is this true?

Do most students know if they're going to specialize when applying for admission? If they don't, do they say they do in their interviews?

In general, how much of the study body has been filled by dec 1st? I've been reading for some schools that they've sent out enough acceptances to fill up a class, while others are saying only half the seats have been filled... Would this be an accurate assessment?

Establishing in state residency will vary from school to school. There are several that are a gurantee after year 1 (alabama) and others that say no way (VCU). About Dec. 1 again that will vary from school to school. i would say it could be as low as 30% all the way to about 90%. In my interviews I stated I did not want to specialize, which is entirely true. I would say several people have the notion of specilization. Basiclly say whatever you can speak enthuastically about in the interview regarding specialization/non-specialization. Attitude will get you a lot further than words alone.

agrrrr said:

each school handles residency classification differently. maryland, for instance, does not make it impossible. i have several friends there who were able to get residency after their first year. the only catch is that you not only have to have bills in your name, but you also have to make a certain income in order to pay a certain amt of taxes to the state of MD. so, i guess if you consider working while going to school "impossible" then it might be impossible to get residency in MD.

the number is something like you need to make $10-12,000 in taxable income spread out throughout the year.