Residency Showcase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some examples of questions to ask that aren't generic and found on the website?

Residents, going back what are things you wish you would have asked?

Members don't see this ad.

This will depend nearly entirely on you and what your looking for. To come up with these questions think about what is important to you in a program.

What are some examples of questions to ask that aren't generic and found on the website?

Residents, going back what are things you wish you would have asked?

I'm sure many people will tell you what I have heard from preceptors and mentors throughout this year when asking them a similar question. The goal you should have in mind is, "What questions can I ask this program that will help me determine if I want to be a resident there?" and "What questions can I ask to help me rank this program in comparison to the other programs I am considering?"

You questions should not be 'special' so that the program remembers you, your questions should help YOU evaluate the program. Tailor them to be able to determine if the program will meet your needs as a future PGY1. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do remember good conversations we have with prospective residents and do keep track on our mailing list after the showcase (like -- person A is great, person B is a creeper, etc..)

That said, some questions that led to good conversations:

1) How flexible has your program been in meeting your interests/goals?
2) What do you like most about your program? Why?
3) What do you think has been a challenge with respect to your program and why?

Don't just ask these questions verbatim, though; conversation should flow. At my booth, if I like you enough, I will: a) introduce you to my director, b) mark on our sign in sheet that you left a good impression, and/or c) walk you to a booth manned by one of my colleagues at other programs depending on how much I like you and your interests.

1) How flexible has your program been in meeting your interests/goals?
2) What do you like most about your program? Why?
3) What do you think has been a challenge with respect to your program and why?

I can tell you right now that there will be pretty answers for all of the above questions when you asked anyone, including the residents during your interviews or at residency showcase. And I guarantee you it's mostly cookie cutter type like an installed program into a robot. Because again, as previously mentioned in other threads, pharmacy is a small world and you just have to swallow the bitter pill stuck in your throat and say things you're told to say. Noone will tell you the truth about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the program until you get to experience it yourself.

With that being said, my advice are:
1) Ask your friend who knows or is the resident of that program
2) Ask the questions to the residents of that program during your interview but pay attention to their tones and manners when they answer you. Lies find a way to show themselves.
3) If you have a bad feeling about any of the people who interview you, I advice you to walk away from that program. It's hard to do especially when they paint a nice picture of their program in front of you, but you'll be in hell for a year and it may end up affecting your original goals.
You'll be surprised by the extent of what a young and immature residency director/coordinator is willing to do, some of those things are just down right immature and low. So save yourself before that happens.
4) You don't have any control of what kind of co-residents you will get, so pray for nice people!

Think about these things first before you start ranking the programs.

I can tell you right now that there will be pretty answers for all of the above questions when you asked anyone, including the residents during your interviews or at residency showcase. And I guarantee you it's mostly cookie cutter type like an installed program into a robot. Because again, as previously mentioned in other threads, pharmacy is a small world and you just have to swallow the bitter pill stuck in your throat and say things you're told to say. Noone will tell you the truth about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the program until you get to experience it yourself.

Generally agree, but depending on the questions we get as residents, the answers can be instructive. If students ask us stupid questions like "do you like your residency?" you'll get the crap generic answer. if you ask about flexibility and focus, we get a better opportunity to give you a window to the program...or in some cases, throw our respective programs under the bus with a smile on our faces.

Generally agree, but depending on the questions we get as residents, the answers can be instructive. If students ask us stupid questions like "do you like your residency?" you'll get the crap generic answer. if you ask about flexibility and focus, we get a better opportunity to give you a window to the program...or in some cases, throw our respective programs under the bus with a smile on our faces.

Agreed.